Challenge 2012: A Second-Hand Year
By wild flutterby on December 30, 2011
Featured Member Post
2012 is almost upon us and I know I am not the only one clinging to hope for the new year, desperately dreaming of the things that may come. For me, the year holds exciting plans: moving in with my sister, travelling for clinical rotations for school, a white-coat ceremony where I get to finally feel like a doctor, and potentially even an engagement and wedding planning! (Shhh..at 26, this bloggirl is still a little superstitious).
With the plans come new challenges - eating healthy and exercising on the road and when working 60 hours a week, and, of course, finances. So, I've come up with a plan, a personal challenge, if you will.
- For one ENTIRE YEAR (meaning ending on December 31, 2012), I cannot buy luxury items for myself unless they are second-hand, or DIY, meaning I made them myself. (Sorry Etsy!)
- Exceptions to the rule: underwear, swimwear, socks, lingerie, and gym shoes/clothing - I have an issue with wearing things that other people sweat in. I am trying to stock up on these things via Christmas gift cards, so I can go the whole year without buying anything new.
Image: John Walker/The Fresno Bee via ZUMA Press.
- What qualifies as a 'luxury item': Clothing, shoes, housewares, accessories, books, jewelry and purses/bags.
- Things that are NOT 'luxury items': food, bath products, school supplies and car items.
- I can accept gifts but I can only give things that are homemade by me or found second-hand.
- Where do you get second-hand items? Thrift stores, antique shops, swap meets, flea markets, Craigslist and friends/family. I'm sure I'll get creative as time goes on
- When there are items that I need, I'll post about the challenge, where and how I met it. Also because I am a shopaholic, I will post anything unique and fun that I find along with pictures. And, if someone has a particular challenge they want me to take on, I take requests!
What are your challenges for this year? Any special resolutions?
More Like This
Most Popular on BlogHer
Michelin wants to remind drivers that whether or not your first (or current!) car is in the best condition, your tires should be. The MICHELIN Premier LTX provides exceptional levels of safety even as tires wear down, making them safe when new and safe when worn*. Even when worn, the MICHELIN Premier LTX still stops shorter on wet roads than leading competitors’ new tires. Read our bloggers' posts as they talk about their #FirstCarMoments plus get a chance to win a set of Michelin tires! Read more
Most Popular on Fashion
Recent Comments on Fashion
By Karen Ballum