Chocolate Cherry Oatmeal Cookies
By sugarspiceandbacon on May 29, 2013
If you think “Healthy Cookie” is an oxymoron, well…you might be right. But there are definitely cookies you can feel way less guilty about eating, and this is one of them! In fact, I’ve eaten about 20 over the past couple days and haven’t had a single twinge of guilt. Perhaps it’s because my belly is already bursting with what the doctor predicts to be an 8 pound baby (eek!) …but still.
The combination of chocolate and cherry is a no brainer. I also firmly believe that any cookie containing oats can be eaten for breakfast without a second thought. Don’t you agree??
When you are mixing the batter up, you may be a bit worried (like I was) that there won’t be enough moisture, but just keep stirring and things will come together.
Usually, I don’t think it is too big of a deal to skip the “refrigerate for one hour” step in cookie baking, especially if you are in dire need. And truthfully, it wouldn’t be the end of the world if you did skip it here, BUT I will say it makes a difference. Especially because you are using chopped chocolate, which, if you don’t refrigerate it first can get a little too melty during baking.
These cookies are sweet and hearty. Snag one before your morning workout and you’ll have an extra boost of energy to get you through. Or grab a couple after dinner for a guilt free dessert. Or snack throughout the day and say you are “keeping the baby’s energy up.” It’s a totally legitimate excuse.
Recipe: Chocolate Cherry Oatmeal Cookies
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons nonfat milk
- 5 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine flours and next 3 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl; stir with a whisk.
- Combine melted butter and brown sugar. Add sugar mixture to flour mixture; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add cherries, vanilla, milk and egg; beat until combined. Fold in chocolate. Refrigerate 1-3 hours. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes. Cool on pans 3 minutes or until almost firm. Remove cookies from pans; cool on wire racks.
Adapted From Cooking Light
More Like This
Recent Posts by sugarspiceandbacon
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Kim Court