Most of the time, white flour is substituted with whole-wheat flour or, butter is substituted with coconut oil or yogurt…
Most of the time.
There are some other times when “healthier” takes a backseat…
Some times when butter IS used, and self-rising flour cannot be substituted…
And in times like that, “Chocolate-Dipped, Strawberry, Cinnamon, Chocolate Chip Scones” are born!
These are a delectable, occasional treat – maybe a Valentine’s Day breakfast to be shared–by anyone celebrating that day.
While I am not a huge fan of Valentine's Day–I am a huge fan of love…and chocolate!Now I am not some V-day Scrooge, I love experiencing and seeing love in all its many forms, but I am just not a huge fan of taking one day out of 365 to show it–that’s all.
These scones however, should be enjoyed just one day of the year. They are truly decadent and rich … with butter, flour, a couple of spoons of passion fruit-flavored Chobani, fresh strawberries and chocolate–lots and lots of rich semisweet chocolate -but they are so worth every rich mouthful!
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons passion fruit-flavored Chobani
- Handful of chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 to 1 cup chocolate chips for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the flour and baking powder.
- Add all the other ingredients and gently fold dough till ALL ingredients are incorporated and dough is manageable.
- Flatten dough out to about a 1/2-inch-thick circle (or square) on parchment paper and divide into 6 parts.
- Place the 6 scones on a parchment-lined baking tray and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Let the scones cool to room temperature and when that happens, melt the chocolate chips (I melted mine in 30 second increments in the microwave).
- Dip the scones in the melted chocolate any way you like and let cool before enjoying!