Clams and Mussels In White Wine Broth
By Kathy Steger on August 26, 2012
- 1 dozen littleneck clams, scrubbed and cleaned
- 1 net full of mussels
- 3 strips bacon, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 twigs fresh thyme
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1/2 bottle white wine
- 1. In a Dutch oven or a heavy pot saute bacon. Drain all but 1 tsp of fat. Set bacon aside.
- 2. In the reserved fat sauté onion, garlic and thyme until translucent.
- 3. Add clams, mussels, reserved bacon and wine.
- 4. Cover and steam until clams and mussels open.
- 5. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve with charred bread.