Coconut v. Avocado: The Real Superfood
By Twenties Chic Blog on May 31, 2014
In recent months, the avocado has been getting a lot of hype. You can’t watch television without being bombarded by a new avocado campaign.
Nearly every restaurant has debuted an item on its menu to cater to popular demand for what has commonly become known as the “superfood.” See, e.g., Subway:
It’s no surprise that the avocado has taken off. Mexico has great marketing–we’ve all seen what they’ve done with the margarita. But coconut is worldwide! Populations from India to the Caribbean have been reaping its benefits for centuries.
So I think it’s time we paid tribute to avocado’s underrated sidekick! Here are 5 reasons why coconut is every bit the superfood that avocado is:
- Coconut is rich in antioxidants. It helps repair and heal underlying skin tissue and is ideal for sensitive skin. Antioxidants = anti-aging, and coconut has them in spades.
- Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer for all skin types and hair. It’s easily absorbed and gives an immediate soft, smooth and supple texture.
- Coconut used to have a bad rep because of its high saturated fat content, but studies show that coconut contains medium-chain fatty acids (MCFA), which differ from the long-chain fatty acids (LCFA) found in meat and dairy products. MCFAs are metabolized by the liver, while LCFAs remain as fatty deposits in the body. This means coconut actually helps you lose weight.
- Coconut increases your immunities. The MCFAs found in virgin coconut oil have strong anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-protozoal properties, aiding immune system functioning and protecting against breast, colon, and other cancers.
- Coconut has omega 3. This, coupled with the increase in metabolism, has been shown to provide an added burst of energy.
Not to mention, there’s no such thing as an avocado macaroon
So spread the word! Coconut is here and it’s giving avocado a run for the superfood title!
What are your favorite superfoods? Share them in the comments below!
More Like This
Recent Posts by Twenties Chic Blog
Most Popular on BlogHer
In the U.S., women have family planning services that are safe and affordable, but across the globe, it is a different story. EngenderHealth's WTFP?! (Where’s the Family Planning) campaign is supported by our bloggers. Read their personal stories and thoughts on family planning. Read more