The other morning I woke up in the mood to bake something for Jason and I for breakfast. It was the weekend so I figured that deserved a little something special. We are both suckers for breakfast pastries so I decided on these scones, knowing they were relatively healthy and wouldn't leave me in a sugar coma as my day was just beginning.
These scones were tender and flaky with just the right amount of sweetness. I like to add a smear of light butter and or honey before serving, while some people also prefer to add a little jam. Although best served warm out of the oven or the same day they will also last up to two days in an air tight container.
Freshly baked scones decorated with cranberries and topped with an orange glaze is the perfect weekend breakfast served alongside a steaming hot cup of coffee.
(Recipe yields 8 scones)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- zest from one orange, 1 to 2 teaspoons
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Mix together the buttermilk, sugar, and egg.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Add in the chilled butter cutting into pieces.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour and mix well.
- Fold in the cranberries and orange zest.
- Add dough to a floured surface a knead several times using floured hands.
- Form the dough into 8 circles about a 3/4″ thick.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together the powdered sugar and orange juice.
- Once the scones are done baking spread the glaze over each scone while still warm.
More Like This
Recent Posts by ANK15
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Recipes
Recent Comments on Recipes