Create a Life You Fall In Love With in 2013
By Karen Steele on December 06, 2012
I have to say I am a vision convert. There was a time when I thought creating a vision was a complete waste of time. That it was a fruitless effort in formulating dreams that ended in disappointment when they weren’t fulfilled.
That was until I discovered the magic formula for truly creating and bringing to fruition an inspiring and effective vision. Including the most important ingredient.
Believing in it 100%!
Once I made this shift I started to see the vision I had for my life finally start to come true. I experienced the power and magic of having a vision I believed in.
Creating a clear vision is one of the most powerful things we can do to keep focused on exactly what we want in our life. When we can envision a future that is fulfilling, happy and more productive we are more likely to make the changes necessary to reach those dreams for our life.
Without a vision of who we want to be, how we want to succeed or what we want out of life, we can begin to lack drive. We might also become easily distracted from what we really want in our lives and find ourselves veering off down a road we don’t really want.
So how do we create a vision for our life that inspires us? Most importantly, how do we turn our vision into reality?
Here are 4 the key ingredients to the magic formula I have discovered along the way. Follow this process and make 2013 the year you dream of for you and your family.
- 1. ASSESS
The first thing to do is to take stock of your current life. Before deciding on how you would like to move forward it is important to assess where you are right now. We all want more of some things and less of others. Ask yourself these 2 questions:
- What do I want more of in my life? Create a list of the things you have in your life right now you would like to take forward with you into the future and create more of.
- What do I want less of in my life? Create a list of the things that are not serving you well in your life that you want to leave behind. Be brutally honest. If you don’t create the intent to change something you will find yourself with more of the same.
- 2. CREATE
Now you have taken stock of your current life it is time to move forward in creating the vision for the life you truly want. An authentic vision comes from your heart. Feeling emotionally moved by your vision is what will give you the drive and courage to go for your dreams and the strength to overcome any challenges along the way.
Here are 7 steps for creating your vision:
- Find some quite alone time to create your vision. Center yourself to tap into your deepest desires for your life.
- Get clear on the most important core values in your life. Your vision should reflect these values to inspire you.
- Your vision should include all the key elements of your life such as career, personal and family.
- Brainstorm, imagine and dream big. Ask yourself “What does my ideal life look like.” Do not put limits on yourself.
- Get specific on what you want. “I leave my job and launch my own business in 1 year,” rather than, “I quit my job.”
- Write in the present as though it has already happened. “I pick my kids up from school 3 days a week,” instead of “I want to pick my kids up from school sometimes.”
- Create a draft of your vision. Go back to it and review until you have a final version. Does it sound inspiring? Do you get excited when you’re reading it?
- 3. COMMIT
Once you have created the vision for your life it is time to master the most important step of the whole process. Commit and believe 100% to bringing your vision to fulfillment.
This can sometimes be the most difficult part. Particularly keeping at bay the negative inner critic that keeps trying to tell you why you can’t do it. The bigger the life you start to live the louder it shouts to try and hold you back where it is “safe.”
So how can you stay focused on your vision and not get sidelined by the part of yourself that is feeling scared?
Remind yourself daily of your vision. Why you are doing what you are doing. Why you choose not to listen to the part of yourself trying to hold you back.
You need to live it and breath it.
Here are 3 tips on how you can incorporate this into your daily life:
- Read through your vision daily staying focused on what you want to achieve rather than the how.
- Create a vision board that includes images representing your goals and dreams. Having a visual representation of the life you want to create can be very powerful in keeping focused. Particularly if you display it somewhere you will see it regularly throughout the day.
- As you read or look at your vision take a couple of minutes to imagine that it is already real. See your self there. Allow yourself to tap into the inspiration and excitement you felt while writing your vision.
- 4. ACHIEVE
It’s time to turn your vision into reality. This requires taking consistent and decisive action towards your goals. Until you do your vision will remain just a dream. Here are 3 steps to achieving your vision:
- Identify the steps required for you to reach your vision
- Develop an action plan on how you will implement each step including a timeline on when you will achieve them by
- Identify checkpoints along the way so you can assess your progress, recognize your successes and adjust your plan if necessary.
These 4 steps are the crucial ingredients to the magic formula for creating and achieving the vision you have for your life. Miss one and you might find your vision will flop.
As 2012 comes to a close now is the perfect time to start designing the vision for your life in 2013. So when the New Year rings in you are on your way to creating the life you want for you and your family.
Imagine how great it will feel at the end of 2013 you look back over the year realize how you are creating the life you dream of.
Karen Steele is Founder of The Entrepreneurial Working Mom at www.TheEWorkingMom.com where she teaches overwhelmed working moms the confidence, courage and skills to ditch the 9-5 and leap into their own thriving business so they can create the life they want for their family. Karen is a Certified Professional Life Coach, mom and entrepreneur. Create the life you want for your family in 2013 by signing up for her special 2-Hour Launch the Life & Business You Love in 2013 Coaching Intensive. Follow The Entrepreneurial Working Mom on FACEBOOK
More Like This
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Finding Balance
Recent Comments on Finding Balance
By Jennifer Fox