Creating Healthy, Success Goals for 2013
By PaulasHealthyLiving on January 04, 2013
New Years is a time to embrace new beginnings. It’s a time to begin better habits with strong goals in mind for finances, love relationships, health issues and weight and body shape ideals.
The goal for weight change is often high on this list. Crazy crash diets, detox OTC pills and diet pills are often used to attain these goals, but at what cost to your long-term health?
Some ideas that can encourage you to attain your weight goals are:
1. Cook more often at home. Then you are in control of the salt, fat, sugar, nutrient quantities, not to mention, the overall costs.
2. Try different foods than you consider your standard fare. Branch out to new vegetables that you aren’t familiar with and even go for meatless meals once per week.
3. Eat more whole foods, moving away from processed foods.
4. Incorporate healthy fats through extra-virgin olive oil, olive oil, sesame, coconut, and grape seed oil as well as omega-3s found in salmon and sardines.
5. If your intimidated by cooking (lots of people are), take a class, ask a trusted friend whose food is healthy to give you pointers or watch healthy cooking shows on Food Network.
6. Reduce your overall alcohol intake or designer-coffee beverages which add calories without nutrients to your daily count.
7. Utilize an electronic food scale. It helps you understand visually and by weight how much food you’re actually eating. 3 oz. of beef or chicken is not as large as you may understand it to be.
8. Use a daily food/exercise journal. Keep it private, but honest.
9. Monitor portion control. Use smaller plates, and don’t bring extra food to the table.
10. Ask your friends and family for their help with your goals. Without their encouragement and help, it may be a bigger challenge to stay on track.
You can do this! You can make changes in your diet that improve your energy, burn calories more efficiently, and improve your long-term health. Seeing these improvements can be very rewarding emotionally and physically.
More Like This
Recent Posts by PaulasHealthyLiving
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Melissa Ford
Nate Berkus brings his celebrated style to LG’s premium line of kitchen appliances. See how our bloggers incorporated this style with with just a few simple tweaks. Enter "My Kitchen Needs Nate" contest for a chance to win an ultimate dream kitchen. Read more
Most Popular on Health