Crickets Chirping at Your Site? How to Get Found Online
By LoriRandallStradtman on December 10, 2010
It's tragic sometimes.
Somebody pays a lot of money and works their heart on a blog site or Facebook Fan Page. They get:
- Sexy, custom graphics
- Up to the minute WordPress design
- Fancy Facebook Landing Page with video, email capture, and links
- Fancy custom Facebook Page banner
- Expert content development assistance
- Social Media strategy coaching from their favorite professional
And no fans or followers.
Why does this happen?!
Because, in the words of my wise and wonderful friend Sherry Sabine, seasoned Social Media strategist (God, I love alliteration!!),
"A lot of times people say 'If you build it they will come.' In Social Media this is just NOT true!!"
She's right. Unless you've hired a professional Social Media manager to do these things for you, you need to be:
- Genuinely engaging with people. Fake = Flop
- Placing ads on Facebook that will help you to determine your target demographic
- Spending time on Twitter following people who are saying smart things
- Spending time on Twitter listening to people talking about your subject
- Blogging your butt off to get quality content out there on a regular basis
- All of this is just the beginning
There, I've said it.
Futzing around with your design and badgering your graphic designer aren't alternatives to actually getting out there and engaging with people who might just be interested in what you have to offer.
What have you found that has helped your Blog or Facebook Page to take off? We're all ears!! :D
Lori Randall Stradtman also blogs at Social Media Design.
More Like This
Recent Posts by LoriRandallStradtman
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Genie Gratto
Most Popular on Blogging & Social Media
Recent Comments on Blogging & Social Media