Crock-Pot Lasagna--You can do that?
One weekend this past fall I was preparing to spend a very cold afternoon and early evening in the impending snow watching my son play football. Knowing that I was going to be freezing cold when I returned home there was no way I was going to want to spend the next hour cooking dinner and I really did not want to eat out. So I started scouring through recipes.
I came upon the usual things I could put in my slow cooker like soups and roasts but really I was looking for a "one pot" meal where all I would have to do is come home and dish up a plate. No having to wait another 30 minutes for noodles to cook or having to add the final ingredient and wait a while longer while it finished cooking.
It was then that I stumbled upon a recipe for Crock-Pot Lasagna. I had no idea that you could make Lasagna in your slow cooker -- though I am not sure why I was so surprised, I do make pizza pasta in it from time to time.
Anyhow, the following is the recipe I used and I continue to use on a regular basis today. It has quickly become a new family favorite.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste (I use Italian Style)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 12 ounces cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1/2 cup asiago cheese
- 12 ounces lasagna noodles , uncooked (I prefer to use the no-boil kind)
- 16 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- Optional 1 package chopped frozen spinach (thawed and drained)
Brown ground beef, onion and garlic in frying pan.
Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt and oregano.
Cook long enough to get it warm.
Spoon a layer of meat sauce onto the bottom of the slow cooker.
Add a layer of spinach
Add a double layer of uncooked lasagna noodles (break to fit) and top with cheeses.
- Repeat with sauce, spinach, noodles and cheeses until all are used up.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours.
Writer ~ Day to Day Woman
More Like This
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Recipes
Recent Comments on Recipes