Daily Blogging, Weekly Check-in: Gifts from Youth
By Melissa Ford on December 06, 2011
BlogHer Original Post
You've probably noticed that chunks of writing prompts all center on the same theme. These first few days of December's NaBloPoMo focus on gifts from youth -- the ones you got and the ones you gave. The ones you broke and the ones you loved to pieces. The ones that you wish you still had and the ones that you wished you had never received. Sometimes, it's just fun to start off by going backwards.
And this can be a technique that you use in any sort of blogging as well. When you're itching to blog but can't find anything to write, rather than look at your immediate surroundings or time period for inspiration, go back and grab some nostalgia.
- Tell a story from your childhood, especially one that shaped you into the person you are today.
- Go dig through boxes in the storage room and find old items to photograph and write about. I just dug up my Girl Scout sash and some Rocky Horror trading cards the other day and turned them into a blog post.
- Go through old photographs and let them jog your memory of things you may have forgotten.
- Talk about someone who was important to you as a child.
- And since this month's theme is GIFT, think back to old presents you received at birthday parties or holidays. What was your favourite ones and which ones did you wish you had never received?
How often do you go backwards in time in your blog posts?
Photo Credit: Old Tin Toys via Shutterstock
More Like This
Recent Posts by Melissa Ford
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Lisa Stone
Most Popular on Blogging & Social Media
By Lisa Stone