Dairy-Free Vanilla Pudding
By Nummy For My Tummy on April 25, 2014
Featured Member Post
Now that I'm all grown-up and whatnot, I feel that it's important to make things from scratch whenever possible. I know what goes into my food, I savor rather than inhale, and my daughter is growing up in the kitchen...in a good way. This responsible parent thing can be incredibly frustrating, but overall worthwhile.
One of our favorite treats is pudding. Actually, we haven't met a treat we didn't like. Anyway, making pudding was always so simple back in the day; heat up the milk, open the packet of mystery powder, pour mystery powder in milk, stir, refrigerate and consume...all of it. Oh the good old days.
Now, I've had mixed reactions on this; it's because it's not the usual sweet stuff Bill Cosby peddles. You may not find it sweet enough (add more sweetener), or you may not dig the hint of coconut it has due to the coconut milk (change your milk). Regardless, I'm sharing this with you so you have a basic vanilla base to tweak according to your preferences.
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Whisk egg yolks in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the butter and stir until melted.
- Add sugar, starch and salt to the saucepan and whisk until well combined.
- Gradually pour and continuously whisk in the milk.
- Cook over medium heat, continuously stirring.
- Once you see consistent bubbling, reduce the heat to low.
- Slowly add ½ cup of the hot mixture to the egg yolk, while continuously whisking (otherwise you get scrambled eggs).
- Add tempered egg mixture back to saucepan and turn burner back up to medium heat.
- Bring to a gentle boil for 1 minute then remove from heat.
- Gently stir in vanilla.
- Cool for 15 minutes; cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
More Like This
Recent Posts by Nummy For My Tummy
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Gluten-Free
Recent Comments on Gluten-Free
By Kalyn Denny