By Her 30s on July 23, 2013
By: Wendy Castellanos-Wolf
Little B has been my dance student for 7 years. She is 10 and as I’ve seen her grow from uncoordinated toddler to extremely talented kid, I am filled with a combination of emotions. I am proud to know that if she choses a creative life, her drive will be backed by talent, talent that I have helped develop! But with every growth spurt little B has, I am reminded that as a woman in her thirties I am approaching a different phase in my dancing career. No, I don’t think it is over for me yet but I am in a transitory period. (Last year I wrote a post here explaining that very concept.)
This transition has had me feeling nostalgic. I wasn’t aware how nostalgic, until this past weekend when some of my girlfriends and I were enjoying a wine filled Sunday afternoon, and somehow it was decided that it would be fun to watch dance movies on Netflix. We scrolled through all of our choices in the Movie, Documentary and TV show categories and apparently I’ve seen them all and if I haven’t, they are already waiting for me on the watch list.
Since I am a silver lining kind of girl, (and yes, I’ve seen that dance movie too), I decided that all of those hours of sitting down to watch dance instead of actually dancing would not go to waste. The following is a list in no particular order, of some of my all time favorite Dance movies or TV shows.
- Dirty Dancing- As a kid I was obsessed and watched it every single day for a very long time. “Nobody puts baby in the corner.”
- Footloose (the original)- A town where dancing is illegal? What? Also a good starting point for playing 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon.
- Girls Just Wanna Have Fun- Before SJP discovered sex, she just wanted to Jazz Dance.
- First Position: Ballet prodigies. Enough said.
- Dancing Across Borders: Beautiful and sad.
- Pina- After it was over I went to my kitchen and started to choreograph.
- Fame- I loved this show so much that when I was in NYC I actually went to see the school that the show was based on.
- Dance Academy- Takes place in Australia and I felt like a teenybopper because the dancing boys are so cute.
- Dance Moms- Trash TV with really good footage of dance competitions. I just couldn’t help myself.
- Strictly Ballroom- Flamenco meets Ballroom in the mind of Baz Luhrmann
- Carlos Saura Trilogy- Carmen, Bodas de Sangre and El Amor Brujo. Inspiring.
- Flashdance- “She’s a maniac, maniac…”
I could have filled multiple pages but I decided to stop before I spent the entire day making my list. Do you have any favorites I should watch?
Follow BlogHer on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/BlogHer-28615
More Like This
Recent Posts by Her 30s
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Movies & Television
Recent Comments on Movies & Television