Day 2: It's Ladies' Night on the RNC Floor (Plus: Jon Voight)
Game on: The delegates are on the floor for the first time this week. It's finally really happening. Watch for today's roll call: Romney adviser Russ Shriefer confirmed this morning that he believes the tipping point will come in a state that begins with "N" -- interesting news. Twenty-two of Nevada's 28 delegates support Ron Paul, and they've been said to still be planning to name Paul as their candidate. Plus, there's still the possibility of a floor fight. Exciting times, I tell you.
Tonight's unofficially Ladies' Night at the Republican National Convention -- alas, that doesn't mean 2-for-1 margaritas. It does mean a lot of women politicians on the lineup, mostly speaking to today's official "We Built It" theme, focusing on entrepreneurism and the economy.
Sharon Day (Harry E. Walker/mct/MCT/ZUMAPRESS.COM)
Here's the list of today's notable women speakers (with some entertainment -- oh hi, Oak Ridge Boys! -- reports, videos, and committee work peppered in between. We'll be tweeting tidbits from their speeches (follow @bloghernews, @honeybeast, @bklynstacy, @erica_holloway, and @kathryn_finney) and posting a wrapup tonight, along with some interviews.
- Sharon Day, Co-Chair, Republican National Committee
- Rae Lynne Chornenky, President, National Federation of Republican Women
- Lisa Stickan, Chairman, Young Republicans
- The Hon. Mia Love (UT), Mayor of Saratoga Springs
- Actress Janine Turner
- Sher Valenzuela
- The Hon. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (WA), U.S. Representative
- The Hon. Kelly Ayotte (NH), U.S. Senator
- The Hon. Mary Fallin (OK), Governor
- Bev Gray
- The Hon. Nikki Haley (SC), Governor
- Mrs. Lucé Fortuño, First Lady of Puerto Rico
- Mrs. Ann Romney
The media floor can get kind of random sometimes. Here's Jon Voight, who took time to schmooze the media with his own message about the economy.
Overheard name fumblings in the media room:
- Ron Paul for Paul Ryan
- Paul Ryan for Ron Paul
- Rand Paul for Ron Paul
- Ayn Rand for Rand Paul
- And our favorite, RuPaul for Ron Paul
Peacekeeping forces spied around the perimeter to date: Secret Service, Secret Service K-9, National Guard, Border Patrol, state troopers, county sheriffs; Tampa police; Tampa police HSI: Homeland Security Investigation.
Somebody turn that last one into a procedural drama, pronto.