Defiant Athlete: Week 9
By Shaunta Grimes on April 02, 2011
I loved my "I love my bum campaign" picture so much, I made it my header. And yes, I love it. Have you sent Dr. Samantha a picture of your butt lately? This picture is especially special to me, because I got upset with Kevin when he took it. I made a big deal of showing him how to take a bowling picture from the side so that there wasn't just a collection of booty shots. I made a big deal, because I didn't like seeing my butt. That was about a month ago. And now I can't stop looking at it and thinking--you know, I have a great ass. It's even heart-shaped. I heart my ass. For the past week someone has found my blog nearly daily by searching "super ass." I think they heart my ass, too. This header's for you, super ass searcher.
I started keeping a food log this week. There are several reasons behind it. One is that, despite being gluten-free for almost 3 months, I'm still feeling a little off sometimes. The fatigue and brain fog are gone. My hair has stopped falling out and my periods are more normal. But I still have some stomach issues of the rumbley kind. So I wanted to see what might be triggering it. I am very, very sad to say that I'm pretty sure it's dairy. I'll write about this more later. I still need to do a little more research and data collecting.
Another reason is that I feel like it's helping me to learn to eat based on my hunger and not the clock or out of emotion (when I'm not hungry.) All I'm recording is the time, what I ate (without measurements or anything), my hunger level and any notes about physical or emotional condition. Again, I'll write more on that this week. I do think it's helping though.
Here's this weeks training ten list:
1. I had personal best times for a treadmill mile and a 5K this week. (Just under 20 minutes and 66 minutes respectively.) Very exciting!
2. I had some real evidence that I'm getting stronger when I tried the same gym yoga/pilates video that I did the first week, and was able to do it. And really do it, not just slog through. Even the core stuff.
3. I added a third repetition to my arm strength training, and also think I need to move up to a 12 pound weight soon.
4. My legs still hurt when I go too fast for too long, but it's getting better. I walked for 20 minutes at 3 mph yesterday.
5. I also did 15 minutes on the elliptical--with the last minute as fast as I could go--which is five times as long as I could go the first time I tried.
6. I stopped counting grocery shopping as zone one--because it isn't anymore. But as a result, I have realized that 800 training points per week is something I have to train up to.
7. It is my next goal.
8. I am excited to explore the idea of writing a defiant athlete/HAES curriculum for my senior project.
9. I started a defiant athlete Facebook page.
10. I decided to move my training schedule so that it ends on Friday instead of Thursday.
More Like This
Most Popular on BlogHer
Hearing your baby laugh is the most amazing sound. Discover why baby laughter is so important, your baby’s own Baby Laugh Index™, and much more at www.babylaughindex.com.BlogHer and Bright Starts™ asked 10 bloggers to share what kind of laugh their kids have and to try out one of these fun toys: the Jungle Fun Ball Climber™, the Hide 'n Spin Monkey™, or the 3-in-1 Step 'n Ride Lion™ . Check out their posts and learn how you could win one too! Read more
Most Popular on Gluten-Free
Reality Check: Dining out Gluten-Free (and why I went to bed with a bottle of San Pellegrino & a champagne truffle)