Digging Deep To Find a Reason to Be Grateful This Winter
This platter sits on our family room fireplace mantel. I bought it one day about 2 years ago in a store downtown after I saw it in the window. It seemed to speak directly to me and I bought it on the spot.
It's been staring me in the face for the past month, accusingly.
I'm just not feeling it this month. Gratitude, that is.
I'm cranky and irritable and annoyed. My kids are bothering me, work has been frustrating and my house is a mess. There's no end in sight to the snow and I'm sick of shoveling.
I'm not feeling grateful for the extra 3 pounds I've gained from being cooped up in the house and cooking and eating like a mad woman because of all this freezing cold winter weather.
I'm not feeling grateful for how messy the house is, since we've all been holed up and are hanging out inside, and no one but me seems to have any interest in cleaning it up.
I'm not feeling grateful that every work project I'm in the midst of seems to be taking one step forward and two steps back, leaving me feeling like I'm running in circles.
And this whole Woody Allen/Dylan Farrow thing is making my head hurt.
And I'm sadder than words can say about the loss of Philip Seymour Hoffman.
It's not been the best of winters so far.
But. My beautiful, shiny, happy Gratitude platter stares me in the face cheerily each morning, noon and night, from its perch above the fireplace.
So. Let me dig deep to muster up some gratitude from my sorry, whiny ass.
- I'm grateful that we have a home to shelter us from the snow.
- I'm grateful that we haven't lost power even with all this snow and heavy ice on the electrical wires.
- I'm grateful that I've got a freakin' fireplace, for cryin' out loud.
- I'm grateful that I have enough food to feed myself and my family, even so much so that I'm gaining weight.
- I'm grateful that as messy and in-the-midst-of-teendom as my kids are, they're really good kids and I love them (and they love me whether they'll admit it right now or not).
- I'm grateful that I work from the comfort of my own home and for having kind and generous clients.
- I'm grateful for 'Downton Abbey' and 'Girls' and that the 'Tonight Show' now stars Jimmy Fallon.
- I'm grateful for Anna Quindlen's new novel, 'Still Life With Breadcrumbs.'
- I'm grateful that the new season of 'House of Cards' starts on February 14th.
- I'm grateful that the cold weather keeps my God forsaken Tamoxifen induced hot flashes somewhat at bay.
- I'm grateful that I got my breast cancer in 2010 and not 1910, because it meant that I had the advantage of the right combination of chemo and surgeries to keep me whole and alive. I was reminded of that today when a friend told me his mom had died of breast cancer at the age of 56.
- I'm grateful that I'm still NED (no evidence of disease).
I've found that that's how gratitude works for me. If I just start looking for it, it'll show up in droves.
How about you? How are you holding up, this winter?
Claudia Schmidt blogs at http://www.myleftbreast.net
You can also reach her on Twitter @claudoo