DIY Beauty Pantry
By mindbodywell on December 12, 2012
Who says you have to spend a small fortune on expensive natural and organic beauty products to reap the benefits of nature’s bounty? Some of the best all-natural beauty remedies can be made at home using basic items you most likely already have in your pantry.
Read on for items and tips you probably already have in your kitchen pantry to create your own diy beauty pantry.
Note of caution: These do-it-yourself products are not preserved. In most cases, use immediately and do not store. If you do store them, be careful not to let bacteria into the bottles (keep your fingers out/away and lids on tight) and don’t keep them around for extended periods of time.
Here are key ingredients you can use to create an at home DIY Beauty Pantry:
- Brown Sugar — to soften dry, winter skin make an at home shower scrub. Mix 2 oz organic brown sugar with 2oz oil of your choice such as almond, sesame or olive oil. For added aromatherapy benefits, mix in an essential oil such as lavender about 15 drops. Slowly massage the scrub from head to toe, rinse with warm water.
- Tea Bags — to get rid of puffy, tired eyes simply brew some tea. Steep two tea bags, allowing them too cool off and place under lids. The caffeine in tea aids in shrinking blood vessels, which help diminish puffiness
- Potatoes — for a natural glow, mix equal parts peeled, grated potato and loose tea with 1/3 olive oil. Slowly massage onto your face using fingertips in light circular motions. Rinse with warm water.
- Bananas — make a great homemade mask. Mash up a ripe banana and spread all over your face, leave on for a few minutes, then rinse with warm water.
- Coconut Oil — works wonders as a moisturizer and deep hair treatment, for additional benefits check out my full post here.
- Oatmeal — contains beta-glucans, which sooth skin and have a tightening effect when applied as a mask. To make your own mask, mix 1 tablespoon oatmeal with 3 tablespoons organic plain or greek yogurt and 1 tablespoon of organic, raw honey. Mix to form paste, apply blend to face and leave on for 5-10 minutes, rinse with warm water.
- Kosher Salt — for soft, beachy waves fill a spray bottle with 3-4 oz water and add 3 teaspoons kosher salt. Spray onto damp hair to create a tousled beach look year round
- Coffee — don’t toss the grounds after brewing your next pot of coffee. Instead use it to exfoliate skin. Mix 3 tablespoons of coffee grounds with 1 tablespoon salt and massage all-over the body for an in-shower scrub that is both antibacterial and stimulating.
- Oranges — post shower, apply squeeze juice from freshly cut orange onto skin and massage it in, this will help exfoliate the skin since oranges naturally contain alpha hydroxy acids.
- Asparagus — to relieve dry, flaky skin puree raw asparagus with milk then mix in an equal amount of avocado and raw organic honey. Apply to clean face, leave on for 15-20 minutes and rinse with warm water. Since it contains chlorophyll, this mixture will help brighten and exfoliate the skin, leaving a natural glow.
What natural products do you use in your diy beauty arsenal?
More Like This
Recent Posts by mindbodywell
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Melissa Ford
Mom has a lot to check off her list this Summer, and Kellogg's cereal can help her get it done. How will you make the most of your Summer? Check out our blog posts as we share with you inspirational ideas for celebrating the moments of magic that will happen during this activity-filled time of year! PLUS enter for a chance to win as $100 Walmart gift card! Read more