DIY Primitive Table
Until a few months ago, I had no idea I was fond of primitive tables. But when I came across some that Holly has over at Down to Earth Style, it was love at first sight! Here are pics of some of Holly's tables ...
Some of Holly's tables are old items she's reclaimed, but she also makes these fabulous tables herself. The third picture above is a table she made. Amazing, right! She is one of my all-time favorite bloggers and a huge inspiration to me. I love the mixture of rustic and new in a home, and with my mega-crush on these tables in high gear I went off in search of a used workbench or primitive table that I could make my own.
After months of searching, I figured out a couple of things: 1) these tables/benches are pretty hard to find and 2) because they're rare, can cost a small fortune. Unfortunately paying several hundred dollars for one of these beauties wasn't something I was willing to do, so I decided to move to my next option - asking hubby to build me one.
My hubby wasn't overly fond or interested in taking on this project at first, but thankfully I was able to convince him (and he is too!). I showed him pictures of Holly's tables and a few others on Pinterest, told him how tall and wide I wanted it, and then I gave him complete creative control from there. He came up with a plan pretty quick, so we made a quick run to home depot for supplies!
Here are the supplies we used:
- Three 8-foot 1x4
- One 12-foot 2x4
- One 8-foot 2x4
- Three 8-foot 2x6
- One box of wood screws
The supplies cost about $40 total. Keep in mind that we used plain common lumber grade wood, nothing fancy, and I already had the paint and stain on hand. Once we got the supplies home, my hubby got to building.
First, he cut all the wood to size.
Then, he built the frames for the base.
Next, he put the top on.
For the bottom shelf, he had to notch out the corners of the end pieces so the shelf would be flush with the legs.
You can see those notched out ends by the legs in the pic below.
I didn't get pictures of this step, but after all that was done he added the 1x4 just below the top and around the bottom to give it a nice finished look.
It took hubby about 3 hours to build from start to finish. Next up, distressing.
I wanted the table to look like a used workbench, so distressing tools included chains, saw, nails, chisels, screws, hammer and other tools you'd see any a typical workshop. Distressing was a big part of the job and it took at least an hour to get it just right! Once distressing was done, I gave it a quick sanding and I started painting.
I used a BH&G satin finish paint I picked up at Walmart called Dillweed - it was a leftover from another project. It's what I would call a garden shed green. I painted every surface with this paint, then went over it with some brown glaze.
After drying overnight, I strategicallly sanded areas down to the wood and stained the exposed areas with some golden oak stain I had on hand.
Once I had the stain on, I waxed all of the exposed surfaces and just like that ... my wish for a primitive table was a reality. Yay! Here are some pics of the table in my living room ...
Now that we have this learning experience under our belt, I want to learn how to build stuff on my own. Next time we're going to try a new design, although we haven't decided exactly what it will be yet. Once we've honed our building skills, my plan is to get hubby to customize my existing kitchen island and replace the formica top with a wood plank top like these...
All in good time my friends. Thanks for stopping by. Hope y'all have a fabulous week :)