The Dizzy Fuzzy Vision Girl Chronicles

And so it continues. The dizzy girl chronicles. Though now they have morphed into the dizzy fuzzy vision girl chronicles. I have been to numerous doctors, assorted trips to the Emergency Room, and all sorts of tests and prescriptions. Every six months or so, something new happens and the cycle begins again. A few months ago, I started to notice a blurry blob in the corner of the vision out of my right eye. It got bigger and bigger. I finally just saw an ophthalmologist for it, who after numerous tests…some twice…sent me for an MRI. I have been trying to get an MRI for several years but they are not easy for your insurance company to pay for, and some neurologists won’t see you without one. Now I am off to a new doctor.

 I started dealing with all this 7 years ago when my hand began to go numb. I saw a neurologist who suggested I may have a pinched ulnar nerve. (that would be the funny bone nerve) He referred me to an orthopedic surgeon. Surgeon told me no, I have tendonitis in my wrist and shot me up with cortisone and gave me massive prescriptions for Vicodin. I stopped going to him. My hand still goes numb.

About two years later, I had an episode at work which sent me off in an ambulance. I started to get wavy lines out of the corner of my vision. Then my vision went almost completely. A short time later, the right side of my face started to go numb. My coworkers, thinking I was having a stroke, called for help. An ambulance was called. I was taken away to the hospital. The ER doctors diagnosed me pretty quickly with having had a silent migraine. They gave me some IV medication and sent me home. I saw my primary physician after that who referred me to another neurologist. She said there was nothing wrong with me. It was probably just stress.

A few years later, I started having attacks of vertigo. I would get it all the time. While I was sitting, standing, with no real trigger that I could pinpoint. Sometimes I would get it laying in my bed while doing nothing. I started to lose my balance and walk into things. It was like I could no longer properly judge distance. I would walk into door frames, fall down the stairs, trip over nothing at all. I went again to see my primary doctor who referred me to an ENT thinking it must be something inner-ear related. For several months, I saw the ENT and had hearing tests, balance tests, electrodes stuck in my ears while lights flashed in my eyes. She cleared me completely of having anything at all wrong with my ears and said I should be seeing an Neurologist. She referred me to one.

The one she referred me to would not see me. She was not taking any new patients, and it seemed that one of the ones I had seen previously who told me nothing was wrong with me was a colleague of hers and she would not share patients.  My mission then became finding another neurologist. It seemed however that none would see me without a referral from my doctor. Not for insurance reasons, but because they did not want someone off the street. I didn’t understand this. If the doctor takes my insurance and is taking new patients, why wouldn’t they see me? They few I found that would see me would not schedule me until I had an MRI. My insurance company would not cover an MRI unless the neurologist called for it. It was a frustrating cycle and I was stuck in it.

I learned to live with the vertigo. I took Meclizine when it would start which would make me fall asleep and I would more or less sleep it off. I learned to hold on extra tight to banisters, stopped wearing heels, and stopped taking part in a lot of the things that I loved for fear that I would have an attack and not be in a position to help myself. My already persistent depression became worse, and I started to isolate myself.

I changed antidepressants. I had an emergency appendectomy and had a hell of a time coming out of the anesthesia. It was not long after that the blob appeared in my eye. That was a few months ago.  My ophthalmologist did a forty-five minute exam on my right eye, and another hour of tests. Some he ordered done twice. He could see the vision loss in the results, but could find no explanation within my eyeball itself. At the end of my exam, seeming flustered himself, he started asking questions about my balance. This led to me more or less breaking down and telling him everything. I told him about the vertigo, the silent migraines, the numbness, everything. He sent me immediately for an MRI.


In order to comment on, you'll need to be logged in. You'll be given the option to log in or create an account when you publish your comment. If you do not log in or create an account, your comment will not be displayed.