Do-Good Mother's Day Gift and Donation Ideas
By Britt Bravo on April 27, 2010
BlogHer Original Post
Mother's Day is only a couple weeks away (Sunday, May 9th). Do you know what you're going to give your mom?
Gifts of time, and homemade gifts are probably some of the best gifts you can give your mom, but sometimes you live too far away to get together, or don't have time to make something special.
I've posted some do good Mother's Day gift and donation ideas below, as a continuation of last year's Mother's Day Donation Ideas post.
- Five percent of your purchase from Organic Bouquet's Flowers for Good program will go to your choice of a variety of nonprofit partners.
- The Global Fund for Women's online store features companies who donate a portion of their sales to the Global Fund for Women like Alima Pure Mineral Makeup and Putumayo's Women of the World: Acoustic CD.
- World of Good by eBay has all kinds of, "organic, sustainable, natural, environmentally responsible, fair trade, socially conscious and sweatshop free gifts for Mom."
- Women for Women International's online store offers products made by women in their programs, or from their sponsoring partners.
- MADRE also has an online store where you can buy a gift that was hand-crafted by women from their sister organizations.
- My Ten Places to Buy Gifts That Support Women Artisans post on the Global Center for Cultural Entrepreneurship blog has links to ten more places to buy do-good gifts.
- If you make a donation to Women for Women International in honor of your mom, they will send her a Mother's Day card, or e-card.
- You can give, "one for mom, one for the earth," when you give a sponsorship gift through the Sierra Club. You can sponsor things like Yosemite National Park and the Arctic National Refuge.
- When you give a refugee a "lifesaving gift" like prenatal care, school supplies, or blankets through a donation to the International Rescue Committee, they will send your mom a card, or e-card. Plus, your gift will be matched to support their maternal health programs in Sierra Leone.
- The Ploughshares Fund will send your mom a card, a necklace, or flowers, depending upon the amount you donate. Your gift will be matched, "by a group of generous philanthropists, all mothers themselves."
- MADRE will also send a card to your mom if you make a donation in her honor.
- Sending a Care2 Mother's Day e-Card will help you earn "butterfly credits" that you can redeem on Care2 as a donation to a variety of causes.
What are your do-good gift ideas for Mother's Day?
- Women for Women International's Notes from the Field
- Sierra Club's 12 (!) blogs
- Ploughshares Fund blog
- myMADRE: a MADRE Blog
- International Rescue Committee's Voices from the Field
- Global Fund for Women's blog
- Care2's Healthy and Green Living blogsFull disclosure: I have supported, or worked for some of the organizations mentioned.