Do's and Don'ts
I have a list of DO's and DON'Ts (the discussion about the correct spelling of DOs and DON'Ts could be a blog post in and of itself...who knew???) when it comes to living in an empty nest.
My list is a bit long, so I shortened it for this post---
- DO expect to be hit between the eyes even though you have prepared yourself for the inevitability.
- DO take on a hobby or two. They will keep your mind occupied and help you not get too deep in the initial shock and/or sadness.
- DO realize that it's ok to put yourself first. They're out and living their lives- get out there and life yours. It's a brand new day!
- DO celebrate an empty nest as success! After all, if you hadn't done such a great job raising them, they wouldn't be able to get out there and live their lives.
- DO take on those jobs/ideas/etc that you kept putting off while you were busy raising the kids.
- DO go out to lunch with friends or all by yourself.
- DO continue or start exercising. It will make all the difference!
- DO volunteer somewhere. Anywhere.
- DON'T- let any sadness go too far. Recognize it for what it is, deal with it and let it go. If you can't, it's ok, it's just time to let someone help you.
- DON'T forget that you're not in this alone.
- DON'T ignore your feelings. Let them out so you can deal with them.
- DON'T be afraid to try new things.
- DON'T avoid the memories- let them flow. Eventually, they will bring a smile instead of tears.
- DON'T hesitate to ask for help if you need it. There is no shame in needing or receiving help.
And there you have a few tips when your nest becomes empty.
What have y'all tried?