Dr. Oz: Lower cholesterol, avoid diabetes, boost metabolism with 3 unique probiotics
You take your car for tune-up. Wouldn't it be nice if you could treat your body to a tune-up that boosts your metabolism, reduces cholesterol and helps you avoid diabetes? Dr. Mehmet Oz, author of "YOU: The Owner's Manual: An Insider's Guide to the Body That Will Make You Healthier and Younger" (click for details), recently explained how you can reprogram your fat cells to burn fat faster, rev up your metabolism, protect your heart and more with three different probiotics that offer benefits including:
- Weight loss
- Lower cholesterol
- Reduced risk for Type 2 diabetes
- Enhance the health of your cardiovascular system
Each type provides you with different benefits:
- Fat-burning, metabolism-boosting lactobacillus acidophilus is in probiotic yogurt and fermented soy products like miso and tempeh, says Dr. Oz. It's also available in supplement form, such as Food Science of Vermont Lactobacillus Acidophilus. Our tip: If you buy miso, look for non-GMO varieties without MSG, such as Shiro Miso Paste NON GMO No MSG Added. And if you eat a lot of yogurt, consider investing in a yogurt maker to create your own probiotic yogurt.
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus battles obesity and insulin resistance. Where to find: Probiotic yogurt, fermented soy and fermented milks. You can learn to make your own with one of our favorite new cookbooks: "Delicious Probiotic Drinks: 75 Recipes for Kombucha, Kefir, Ginger Beer, and Other Naturally Fermented Drinks" (click for details).
- Lactobacillus reuteri lowers "bad" cholesterol and your risk of coronary heart disease. Find it in supplements such as BioGaia Probiotic Chewable Tablets.