Easter Basket Cake
By mommaowls on April 17, 2014
Idea submitted by Sue of Bishop, GA
You will need:
- 1 pkg. cake mix, any flavor
- 1 can ready-to-spread frosting, vanilla
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- Green food coloring
- Assorted Easter candy
Easter Basket Handle
- 12 (12-inch) pipe cleaners
- 1 1/2 yards 1-inch ribbon
What to do:
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 10-inch angel food tube pan or 12-cup Bundt pan. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool upright in pan 20 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely.
2. In small bowl, place coconut and 2 to 3 drops each of food coloring and water; toss with fork until coconut reaches desired color. Place cake on serving plate. Spread frosting over sides and top of cake making a slight mound on top to form a nest shape. Sprinkle tinted coconut evenly over top of cake; pat lightly to secure. Fill center of cake with assorted candies. 12 to 16 servings. (If you don’t want to fill the center with candy or coconut, you can place a small plastic cup in the middle (as shown in picture).
3. To make handle, twist ends of 2 pipe cleaners together; repeat with remaining pipe cleaners. Group 5 pairs together and wrap remaining pair around to form a bundle. Wrap with ribbon. Secure each end with tape. Bend to form handle shape. Attach bow and insert in cake
TIP: Two 8 or 9-inch round pans may be used to make basket cake; follow package directions. To make small baskets, following directions for cupcakes. Decorate as individual baskets. Add a name card and place at each place setting on Easter dinner table.
Amber Tincher and Amy Leckrone
Co-founders of Camp Mommawatchi
Purchase at-home camp curriculum at www.campmommawatchi.com