Easy Saturday Science Project: Walking Water
By Tamarah on August 09, 2014
I saw this on Pinterest, and it was just a quick science project we could have going during the day, so we gave it a shot!
It’s pretty (ridiculously) easy: You need 3 cups, 2 paper towels and some food coloring. The goal is to watch the water “walk” up the paper towels and transfer into the middle cup.
caveat: This projects takes forever. For. Ev. Er. So, it’s not only a lesson in physics, but also one in patience.
1) Take the cups and put them next to each other. Put a few drops of food coloring in the outside cups and stir in some water. We did yellow and blue so we could make green!
2) This is after about half an hour. It’s fun to watch the water walking across the paper towels. You’ll find yourself saying things like: “I’m so glad this is working.”
3) This is after about 2 hours. It takes a while.
4) This is after 3 hours…we are finally starting to get some green in the middle!
5) This is after a couple hours…maybe 5. I stopped checking exactly a few hours ago. I’m just glad we’re getting a puddle in the middle cup at this point.
6) I took this picture before I went to bed at 11pm, so it has been about 12 hours by now.
Anyway, this is a fun project to do with the kids :) Here are some lesson sheets on diffusion vs. osmosis if you want to ramp it up!
~~For those of us with fire.~~
More Like This
Recent Posts by Tamarah
Most Popular on BlogHer
UPDATE: Human Trafficking Hits Close to Home For One Blogger: 14-Year-Old Jewel Fitzgerald Has Been Found
Mary Kay® is the Official Beauty Sponsor of the 50th Annual Academy of Country Music® Awards, which air on Sunday, April 19, 2015, at 8/7c on CBS. To celebrate, celebrity makeup artist, Moani Lee created three stunning country music-inspired looks that our bloggers had a wonderful time recreating. Read our bloggers' posts and get a chance to win a Mary Kay gift pack! Read more
Most Popular on Crafts
Recent Comments on Crafts