Election Day: Which Pie Gets Your Vote, Sweet Potato or Pumpkin?
By Julie Ross Godar on November 02, 2010
BlogHer Original Post
Today's an important day.
Today, in the U.S., we vote.
The Issues Explained
A New York Times infographic from 2009 shows pumpkin with a strong lead last year.
Pundit Gut Thinking gives the edge to sweet potato on the basis of superior nutrition.
Commenters on Serious Eats debated a few years ago. Consensus was reached on the following points:
- Sweet potato is fluffier; pumpkin has a custard consistency.
- Pumpkin has more spices, while sweet potato tastes more like the ingredient.
The Campaign Ads
Credit: Chris Barrett
- Black America Cooks a Bethune Cookman College Sweet Potato Pie
- Simply Recipes tops her sweet potato pie with pecans
- Homesick Texan pays tribute to her Uncle Richard
- Baking Bites throws some buttermilk in there
- Ginger Lemon Girl goes sweetly gluten-free
- Vegan Guinea Pig
- Healthy Happy Life has a 5-ingredient vegan pumpkin pie
- A Busy Nest posted a maple pumpkin pie with cinnamon whipped cream to Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen
- Whisk shared her favorite recipe for her favorite pie
- The Way the Cookie Crumbles is swaying my vote with tiny caramel-pumpkin pies
- Gluten-Free Easily made a GF pie that looks divine
- Buns in My Oven posted the walnut-topped wonder I made yesterday.
I'm blogging A Month of Pies, aka NaBloPieMo. I'm not promising to bake a pie a day ... but I might. Today, I whipped up this little Bourbon sweet potato number from Cooks Illustrated. I'd vote for it. Twice.
PS: I promise, pie pics will happen.
by Kalyn Denny
More Like This
Recent Posts by Julie Ross Godar
Most Popular on BlogHer
Recent Comments on A Month of Pies