Sanford Beats Colbert Busch for So. Carolina Congress Seat
By Grace Hwang Lynch on May 07, 2013
BlogHer Original Post
[UPDATE 5:35PM PST: Mark Sanford beats Elizabeth Colbert Bush for South Carolina's 1st Congressional District. Read on for the analysis of the events leading up to the vote. --Grace]
No joke: disgraced former Governor Mark Sanford is catching up to his challenger Elizabeth Colbert Busch in polls leading up to Tuesday’s special election for South Carolina’s open congressional seat. The race between Democrat Colbert Busch, the sister of comedian Steven Colbert, is taking on the disgraced former South Carolinian governor has been paved with odd moments that seem like they should have come from a comedy show -- but aren’t.
Think Progress reports that a mysterious conservative group has been conducting push-polls over the phone to South Carolina voters, asking misleading questions such as:
- “What would you think of Elizabeth Colbert Busch if I told you she had had an abortion?” - “What would you think of Elizabeth Colbert Busch if I told you a judge held her in contempt of court at her divorce proceedings?
- “What would you think of Elizabeth Colbert Busch if she had done jail time?”
- “What would you think of Elizabeth Colbert Busch if I told you she was caught running up a charge account bill?”
- “What would you think of Elizabeth Colbert Busch if she supported the failed stimulus plan?”
- “What would you think of Elizabeth Colbert Busch if I told you unions contributed to her campaign?”
In April, Sanford engaged in a public mock debate with a cardboard cutout of Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), accusing Colbert Busch of avoiding him and suggesting that his challenger is a pawn of the House Minority Leader. Last week, Sanford did meet face to face with the real Colbert Busch in spirited debate.
So how is it possible that Sanford, with this list of bizarre actions is catching up to his challenger? Pundits speculate that it’s largely because of partisan politics – after all Sanford, despite his public disgrace surrounding his extramarital affair, is still a Republican in a red state.
Are you following Tuesday's special election? And if you live in South Carolina, we'd especially like to hear what you think!
News and Politics Editor Grace Hwang Lynch blogs about raising an Asian mixed-race family at HapaMama.
More Like This
Recent Posts by Grace Hwang Lynch
Most Popular on BlogHer
Mary Kay® Global Makeup Artist Luis Casco, created 2 stunning looks featured on Project Runway. Our bloggers had a wonderful time recreating the Sculpted Look where the focus is on the lips and the brow and the Bronze Glow look where the focus is on the eyes and cheeks. Read our bloggers' posts and see how they recreated these looks plus get a chance to win a Mary Kay® prize pack! Read more
Most Popular on News & Politics
Recent Comments on News & Politics