By Jerrilynn on July 15, 2013
Last week I lost a friend. She was murdered by her ex-husband.
Domestic violence is not a new issue. Here are a few statistics:
- Every 15 seconds, a woman is abused in the United States.
- Women who leave their abuser are at a 75% greater risk of being murdered.
- 1 in 4 women in the United States have been beaten by their significant other.
- 4000 women a year in the United States are murdered by their significant other, former or current.
- 1 in 3 women murdered in the United States are murdered by their significant other, former or current.
Why did I quote statistics? Because I am so incredibly, all-encompassing angry. By quoting stats, I'm hoping to gain a bit of distance and a bit of control.
I remember the first time my friend left her husband. We worked in a small office and we all came together to gather supplies to help her set up her new household. I don't know what kind of spell or hold he had over her; but it ultimately cost her her life. And I'm angry. At the same time, I don't want to give him that kind of power by allowing my anger to grow. He does not deserve that time or energy.
I have struggled all day with this post. There are no words that are adequate.
To my friend...You will be missed. Rest in peace...there will be no more hurt.
More Like This
Most Popular on BlogHer
Save time, money and space with the FoodSaver® Vacuum Sealing System! AND it keeps food fresh up to 5x longer! Read our bloggers' experiences with the FoodSaver® System and see why you should get one for your home. Plus get a chance to win $100 Visa gift card! Read more
Most Popular on Feminism
Recent Comments on Feminism
By Ask Deedra