Fashion Tips for Women Over 40
By bagsnshoes2 on May 27, 2014
Not so long ago, I was having lunch with a friend and she looked across at me & asked "What celebrity would you say your style is most like?" I looked at her as if she'd just had an alien land on her face.
When I was in my 20's, I didn't base my style on anyone but I realize that many of those in the younger generation follow what the celebrities wear. If you are over the age of 30 its time to throw that nonsense out the window. If you are over 40 and still running behind celebrity fashion...stop it, stop it now lol I thought about this conversation & it made me decide to do this blog post. I'd planned on delivering this one via video and decided to go to the beach for filming. Well, it was windy and all the video ended up somehow coming out sideways. I attached a clip just for fun but since I couldn't get the weather or the camera to cooperate, here are the tips in no particular order in writing :-)
- Make sure your clothes fit properly. Muffin top is not caused by having what I refer to as a mid-life crisis, its caused by poor fitting clothing. If the waist in pants & skirts is the correct size there is no squeezing over the tops creating the infamous muffin top.
- Add a few classic pieces to your wardrobe. There's never going to be anything better than the perfect little black dress. It's a great color that can be dressed up or down, make sure whatever classic pieces you add to your wardrobe are well made so they will last you a long while. The great thing about classic is...well, its classic which means it will never go out of style.
- Accessorize, accessorize, accessorize! Adding some accessories is the finishing touch on many outfits. You can go from drab to fab just by adding a necklace, a great bracelet or a fun hat. Don't forget to put the polishing touch on whatever you're wearing by adding an accessory or two....or three.
- Have fun with your wardrobe. While we are not looking to be completely on trend as women over a certain age, we are also not looking for the most boring items in the store. Add some flair and remember that you still have some kid at heart in there, so allow that to show through.
- While having fun, don't forget that you are no longer 20. I hesitate to say wear age appropriate clothing but keep in mind that some things look really ridiculous on us the older we get. I always tell friends who ask me about an item that looks like they are trying to hard to relive their 20's that we can't be Forever 21 and after a certain age, we need to stay out of there unless we are shopping with our daughters or buying some sort of accessory.
Those are my tips, I hope you enjoyed them. Since I said have fun & remember you're kid at heart, I thought I'd share photos of my daughter & I doing just that.
More Like This
Recent Posts by bagsnshoes2
Most Popular on BlogHer
There’s no better vehicle to bring the family together than the Chevy Traverse. It’s the ultimate family vehicle, and the inspiration behind the tales that these bloggers are sharing about those special moments spent with their families. Check out the posts to see just how different, and, in many ways, the same, family time is nowadays as compared to when the bloggers were younger. Read more