Favorite Reads For Grade School Girls
By happykidsinc on February 20, 2013
Books are a mainstay in our house. I am adamant about reading to the kids or if they are reading, to dive into a book everyday. We've always had an ample amount of books in our home, we go to the library often, we encourage reading.
I'm always trying to find authors, themes, or genres that the kids will enjoy. For my 3rd grade daughter, I am constantly trying to get ideas for books that go beyond the "girlie" book genre (think Beverly Cleary). It's not that she or I don't like these books; I just want to make sure she's getting a wide range of topics.
Here are some current faves in my daughter's reading queue.
1. Ivy and Bean series, by Annie Barrows. This series is one of the first chapter book series that my daughter really got into (in the first grade). With fun plots and cute sketch drawings, it was the perfect series for my daughter to get acclimated to lengthier books.
2. Where The Sidewalk Ends, by Shel Silverstein. I love adding poetry to her reading list and she can read this classic over and over.
3. Tua and The Elephant, by R.P. Harris and Taeeun Yoo. This is a book I stumbled upon at our library. The reading level was a bit advanced for her (we read this one the summer after 2nd grade), so she actually read it out loud to me. It was set in Thailand, so we learned a lot about the culture of the country.
4. Mallory and Mary Ann Take New York, by Laura Friedman. I used to live in New York City and it's one of my all-time favorite towns. I love trying to find books set in New York for my daughter to read. I just stumbled upon this book as well through our library. My daughter is in love with it! Little did I know it is the latest edition (#19) in a series. We'll definitely be getting more in the series.
5. The Pinkalicious series, by Victoria Kann. We are big fans and I can still read this for "storytime" to my daughter. The newest addition, Emeraldicious, just came out and I can't wait to read it with her.
I would love to hear what your favorite books are to read with your daughter's. Comment below!
More Like This
Recent Posts by happykidsinc
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Lisa Stone
Most Popular on Family
Sexy Hair Reviews & Giveaways
Did you know that Hollywood celebrities trust Sexy Hair to make them look their very best? Our bloggers were given the opportunity to try Sexy Hair products. Read their reviews and see how you can recreate the red carpet look. PLUS get a chance to win a $100 worth of Sexy Hair products.
Recent Comments on Family