Five Ideas for On the Go Meals
By BethAtStructure on May 15, 2014
I always take a look at our schedule before planning meals for the week. As I looked at this week's schedule, I realized I needed some new meal ideas. Monday we have baseball at 6 pm and baseball at 7:30 pm, and The Coach and I are supposed to be volunteering to make phone calls for the upcoming bond election during those exact times. Tuesday is election day and we have work to do and results to hopefully celebrate that night. Wednesday we have The Coach's big info night for football, where I will be helping to take registrations and sell t-shirts. Thursday night I have cards. Friday both the boys have baseball games, both at 6 pm. Whew. So how the heck do I plan meals around that?
I did a Pinterest search of "on the go meals" and "portable meals", thinking for sure that would yield some ideas. Wrong. Clearly I had found a need, since I couldn't be the only mama wondering how to avoid fast food dinner every night of a busy sports-filled week. So I started brainstorming.
I began with keeping in mind the "My Plate" visual - with a quarter of the plate being protein, a quarter being whole grains, and half being fruits and veggies. These are the building blocks for any meal. Then I thought about how to make it portable. Here are five ideas for on the go meals to feed busy sports kids!
- Wraps. Wraps are a little easier to eat on the go than sandwiches. You can wrap some foil around them and hit the road. Besides the normal sandwich fixings, what can you put in a wrap? Here's some ideas:
- Peanut Butter and jelly and sliced banana
- Chicken salad with diced apple and sliced grapes
- Tuna salad with diced or thin sliced cucumbers
- Pasta Salad. You can easily add meat and veggies to some whole wheat pasta and have a filling dinner entree. You can either put the salad into plasticware (like Gladware) or in mason jars for easy transport. Some of our favorite add ins with whole grain pasta include:
- Pepperoni or salami, diced bell pepper, grape tomatoes, black olives, feta cheese, and Italian dressing
- Crumbled bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, tomato, and ranch dressing
- Grilled chicken, shredded mozzarella cheese, tomato, and pesto sauce
- Slider Sandwiches. The small size of sliders make them perfect for hearty snacks or for a meal - simply have one or a few, depending on what you need. We like using the King's Hawaiian rolls to make sliders, because they are super yummy! We've made sliders with:
- Sliced deli meat, cheese slices, lettuce, and tomato
- Peanut butter, jelly, and sliced banana
- Cream cheese (the lighter whipped one works better for spreading) and sliced fruit or veggies
- Kid Favorite Meals Made Portable. I tried to think about what meals my kids love and if there was a way I could make them portable. A few of them can definitely be tweaked to make a meal on the go out of.
- Walking tacos - these are simple to make. We've had them served in a Fritos bag, but you can just as easily do them at home and put them into a plastic container. Simply layer Fritos chips, taco meat, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and sour cream (or whatever taco toppings you prefer). Eat with a fork!
- Breakfast burritos are a great breakfast for dinner on the run. Simply scramble your eggs, then add some cheese and wrap them up in a tortilla. Wrap in foil for easy transport. You can also add meat or veggies to your eggs, or salsa if you like them that way!
- Burgers and hot dogs can be wrapped up in foil, just like you get them at the concession stand, and taken on the road.
- Pizza wraps - simply make a wrap sandwich using pizza ingredients like pepperoni, mozzarella cheese, pizza sauce, and any other toppings.
- Healthy, hearty snacks + concession stand dinner. Let's face it, some days it's simply easiest to fill them up with something healthy and easy to grab, then give in to the ball field concession stand later. Here are some of our favorite pre-game snacks so I don't feel guilty about a post-game concession stand hot dog or soft pretzel with cheese:
- Cheese cubes with fruit and wheat crackers
- Carrots and ranch with a hard boiled egg
- Apple and peanut butter (or Nutella for a real treat!)
- Nuts and berries
- Trail mix and an applesauce squeeze pouch
On to my menu! While last week was crazy due to a broken minvan and a scheduled surgery for my little man, this week is crazy due to our schedule! The boys' baseball, The Coach's football, and my committee work on our bond election are all colliding this week to bring us one insane week! Each day contains something, and most of them contain a couple activities, usually at the same time! So we'll be having lots of easy and on-the-go meals. I’ll be linking up on I’m an Organizing Junkie if you’re looking for more meal planning ideas! I also often link up at Feeding Big. Or check out and follow my Yummy dinners board on Pinterest! Interested in meal planning? Check out my post on meal planning. Here’s what we’re eating this week:
Breakfasts (we don’t plan for each day – see here for why – but these are our choices along with a fruit)
Lunches (see this post for Peanut Free lunch ideas!)
• Roo: Monday – Lunchable; Tuesday – Lunchable; Wednesday – School lunch; Thursday – Sandwich; Friday – Sandwich
• Monkey: Monday – home; Tuesday – Lunchable; Wednesday – School lunch; Thursday – Sandwich; Friday – Sandwich
• Me: Monday – Leftovers; Tuesday – Leftovers; Wednesday – Sandwich; Thursday – Leftovers; Friday – Leftovers
• Monday – Pasta salad with chicken, tomatoes, mozzarella, and pesto
• Tuesday – Sandwiches, chips, fruit
• Wednesday – Pizza
• Thursday - Spaghetti, garlic bread, salad
• Friday - Pre-game healthy, hearty snack and post-game concession stand dinner
• Saturday – At my in-laws
• Sunday – Mother's Day - The Coach is making me steak, potatoes, and asparagus :)
What are you eating this week? Leave a comment and feel free to link back to your blog if you have your plan posted!
Like the recipe or feature this week? Please consider sending it to a friend, sharing it on Facebook or Twitter, or pinning it to Pinterest. Thanks so much!
More Like This
Recent Posts by BethAtStructure
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Family
Recent Comments on Family