Four Ingredient Apple Tarte Tatin
By mindbodywell on November 23, 2012
For Thanksgiving this year, my mom and I decided to forego the traditional pumpkin pie, cheese cake fare and instead make a delicious and simple Apple Tarte Tartin. With only FOUR ingredients necessary, it one of the easiest desserts I’ve ever baked.
The tarte was such a big hit and with my sweet tooth at an all time high this week I decided to make it again for breakfast this morning. While its a bit on the sweet side and in my opinion does not require the use of caramel sauce it sure does taste good with it added in.
What sweets did you serve at your Thanksgiving gathering?
Apple Tarte Tatin
3/4 stick Kerigold unsalted butter
1 cup organic sugar
6 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and halved
1 sheet of defrosted puff pastry
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- In a small sauce pan, combine butter and sugar over medium heat, stirring constantly for 8 to 10 minutes until the mixture has reached a pale shade of golden-brown.
- Pour sauce into the bottom of a warmed 10” oven-safe skillet and spread sauce evenly with a heat safe spatula
- Pack the apples into the pan, core side up
- Cover apples with puff pastry and be sure to prick the pastry with a fork
- Place skillet in oven and bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until the puff pastry is golden brown. Carefully remove skillet from the oven, and let cool for 15 minutes. Invert onto a platter and enjoy!
*optional — serve tarte with Trader Joe’s caramel sauce