Fourth of July Fruit Salad Blends Greek Yogurt, Coconut and Nuts
By Joanne Eglash on July 04, 2014
What's for dessert on Fourth of July? We suggest a fresh fruit salad mixed with high protein low carb Greek yogurt. Add healthy fats in the form of almonds and coconut, and you've got a firecracker food!
- Choose from assorted fresh fruit in season, such as peaches, nectarines, melon, bananas, and apples, and shredded unsweetened coconut as desired.
- 16 ounces of non-fat or low-fat plain Greek yogurt.
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon ginger.
- 1/2 cup of sugar-free maple syrup.
- 1/4 cup of sliced blanched almonds.
Wash fruit thoroughly, cut into chunks, and peel/core as needed. Prepare enough to allow for 1/2 cup fresh fruit for each guest. In a small bowl, combine yogurt, cinnamon, ginger, and maple syrup. Blend thoroughly. Depending on the brand of yogurt, you may need to mix in more maple syrup for a "salad dressing" type of consistency.
Arrange fresh fruit in a serving bowl, and pour yogurt dressing over the fruit. (Note: if you have excess salad dressing, it keeps well for a few days if refrigerated in a covered dish). Sprinkle blanched almonds and coconut over fruit salad. Refrigerate until serving time.
More Like This
Recent Posts by Joanne Eglash
Most Popular on BlogHer
Nate Berkus brings his celebrated style to LG’s premium line of kitchen appliances. See how our bloggers incorporated this style with with just a few simple tweaks. Enter "My Kitchen Needs Nate" contest for a chance to win an ultimate dream kitchen. Read more