French Onion Soup
By Beth Davis on January 24, 2012
Featured Member Post
When the weather gets cold, I like to make soup. This French Onion soup is my absolute favorite. My girls are a bit picky when it comes to vegetables, but they both love this French Onion Soup.
Back in 2005, Brandon and I went to the Bahamas on vacation for a week. We ate at a lovely French restaurant, but this was before I became an adventurous eater. It was the first time I was introduced to French Onion Soup. I refused to try it, using my classic “I don’t like it (even though I’ve never tried it)” line. Ahhh regret.
Since trying this delicious soup several years ago, I have modified the recipe many times. I used to use Vidalia onions, but switched to the red onions after seeing an episode of America’s Test Kitchen (my second favorite cooking show next to Alton Brown’s Good Eats) and taking their advice. Sometimes I use a mixture of the two. I hope you enjoy!
Visit www.remodelingmama.com or see below for this all time favorite.
French Onion Soup
- 6 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 quarts low sodium beef broth
- Splash of Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced thickly and lightly toasted
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1 cup Fontina or Gruyere cheese, grated
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onions in the olive oil and butter on medium high heat until well browned, but not burned, about 30-40 minutes (in my opinion, the longer, the betterjust don’t burn them). Add the salt early on in the process to draw some of the moisture out of the onions.
- Add a splash of Worcestershire sauce (if desired) and stir into the onions. Add the stock and bring to a simmer. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle the soup into individual, oven proof bowls (onion soup crocks are best). Cover with the toasted French bread and sprinkle with cheese. Put into the broiler for 10 minutes at 350 degrees, or until the cheese bubbles and is slightly browned. Serve immediately.
More Like This
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Food
Green & Black's Organic Chocolate Reviews & Sweepstakes
We placed Green & Black’s Organic Chocolate to the test! Check out these delicious chocolate recipes and recreate them for the ones you love using exceptional, fairtrade ingredients. Plus get a chance to win $100 cash equivalent and a chocolate prize pack.