Fried Black Eyed Peas
By A Southern Soul on February 05, 2013
Your family and friends will not believe what they are eating and what a great snack or addition to your party menus!
When I make Fried Black Eyed Peas, my family goes crazy! No, I'm not kidding. They are crunchy on the outside, creamy in the middle with a salty, savory flavor. As soon as they are cool enough to touch, they seem to disappear by the handful. Most of the time I make them for a snack but they can also be served sprinkled on salads or as a topping for soups - awesome!
Black-eyed peas are an especially rich source of potassium and just like all legumes, they are very good fiber sources, providing 4 grams or 16% of the recommended daily value. Most beans, including black-eyed peas, are rich in iron and they do not contain any fat or cholesterol.
So, with all of this goodness packed into the little, unassuming black eyed pea, don't stress that they are fried. It's all good and you won't regret one special, tasty bite!
Fried Black Eyed Peas
1 can of good quality black eyed peas (I use Bush)
~I use at least 2 cans at a time, more if I have a crowd of people to feed~
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Place on paper towels and allow to air dry on counter for at least an hour.
- When ready to cook, heat oil in a dutch oven or electric fryer to 325 degrees.
- With a heat proof strainer (cooking spider) scoop up peas and place into the hot oil.
- Place 2 scoops of peas into the oil at a time being careful not to over crowd.
- Cook for approximately 4 minutes. **Peas will start to float to the top of the cooking oil when they are about ready.
- Remove from fryer and place on paper towels to drain.
- Immediately sprinkle with seasoning salt.
CAUTION ~ try not to eat all of them while you are cooking...your guests will not be happy with you!
More Like This
Most Popular on BlogHer
Lean Cuisine believes that women should be valued for their accomplishments as opposed to their weight/appearance. Lean Cuisine's new brand campaign Feed Your PhenomenalTM reflects its new brand purpose: to feed the greatness in every woman. Check out our bloggers' posts and see how they measure their true worth plus learn how you could win a $100. Read more