Fun Facts About Dairy ~ June is Dairy Month!
By mothersapronstrings on June 04, 2014
Fun Facts About Dairy
June is Dairy Month! Each year, we celebrate June Dairy Month to honor America’s
dairy farm families and the wholesome, nutritious milk they produce. Here are some fun
facts to help you learn why Dairy Packs Power!
Milk is packed with nutrition. As well as being an excellent source of calcium and
protein, milk contains niacin, potassium, phosphorus, riboflavin and vitamins A, D and
B12. In fact:
• To get the amount of calcium in an 8 ounce glass of milk, you’d have to eat
seven oranges or six slices of wheat bread.
• About 72 percent of the calcium in the U.S. food supply comes from dairy foods.
• Research shows that students who drink milk - either white or flavored - have a
lower or comparable body mass index (BMI), a measure of body fatness, than
Because of these health benefits and its delicious taste, milk and other foods made from
milk are some of America’s most loved foods.
• Ninety-nine percent of all U.S. households purchase milk. The average American
consumes almost 25 gallons of milk each year.
• Americans eat more than 300,000 tons of yogurt a year. Yogurt contains active
cultures, including acidophilus, which has been shown to improve digestion,
stimulate the immune system, fight infection and help protect against cancer. As
an added bonus, yogurt has been shown to improve bad breath!
• About 300 varieties of cheese are sold in the United States.
• It takes more cows to produce milk annually for Pizza Hut cheese (about 170,000
cows) than there are people living in Paducah, Ky., and Asheville, N.C.,
• Each person in America eats an average of 46 slices of pizza a year.
To meet this demand for dairy, there are more than 60,000 dairy farms across the
country. Dairy farmers work hard to keep their cows healthy and happy so they can
produce milk. It’s not an easy job!
• The average dairy cow weighs about 1,400 lbs.
• Cows drink 35 gallons of water a day — the equivalent of a bathtub full of water.
• Cows spend about 6 1/2 hours eating per day and eat about 90 pounds of food in
that time. That’s the equivalent of about 210 potatoes!
• A cow has four stomachs and 32 teeth.
As you prepare to celebrate June Dairy Month and honor the farmers that produce milk,
here’s one final fun fact: It takes about 50 licks to finish a single ice cream scoop. Order
~~Angie @ www.mothersapronstrings.com~~
More Like This
Recent Posts by mothersapronstrings
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Lori Luna
Most Popular on Food
Recent Comments on Food