Celebrate Leap Day
By ldskatelyn on February 29, 2012
Featured Member Post
Today is February 29th - Leap Day! I have never done anything to celebrate this 'holiday' but since I feel the need to romance and date my husband, I decided I would surprise him with a Leap-ful day after he gets home from work. This will be our very first leap year officially together. We actually started dating about a week after the last leap year in 2008!
Image: serenitbee via Flickr
I looked on the internet for some ideas and compiled my own ideas for how you and your spouse, boyfriend/girlfriend, or even friends or children can spend this rare day.
Childhood Games - with a leap:
There is something so fun about revisiting childhood. These things will be fun with or without children present.
- Play leapfrog
- Fly a kite - watch it leap into the air
- Play hop-scotch
- Jump rope or play dubble-dutch
- Do three-legged races, sac races, or hop-on-one leg races
- Skip stones
- Pin the tail on the kangaroo or pin the crown on the frog
- Hide plastic frogs and have a "Leap Day Frog Hunt" like an Easter Egg Hunt
- Make Orgami Frogs (directions here)
- Leap into a pile of leaves or (more likely) in a pile of snow
Get out of your comfort zone - and take a leap:
What a better day to try something new than a day that only comes once every four years? Quit putting off something you've been wanting to do and do it today. Take a leap of faith. Traditionally leap year was a day for the woman to propose to her man... so nothing seems out of the question.
- Go bungee jumping
- Go sky-diving
- Go repelling
- Go cliff jumping
- Try a new type of food or cuisine
- Sing karaoke when you're afraid of singing in front of a crowd
- Try doing stand-up comedy for the first time
- Go to a concert (and leap out of your seat!)
- Cook a new recipe or something completely from scratch
- Go to a water park and do lots of canon balls and dives off the diving board
- Anything else that you and/or your significant other have never done before!
Brush up on your history - and have a fun theme for your date or throw a party:
It's a great day to learn about the origins of the calendar and why we even have a leap year. Going along with that you could...
- Make your date Roman-themed or have a toga party
- Watch the moon-landing on youtube (seen here) and have a space-theme
- Learn about famous people who had February 29th birthdays and do things based upon that person's life. (see a list here)
- Visit your local zoo or even pet shop and learn more about frogs, kangaroos, or all things leaping.
Have a night-in - Leap Day style:
There are several TV shows and episodes that would finish up a perfect evening or make for a slightly more excited date night in.
- Watch the 2010 romantic comedy movie "Leap Year" (watch trailer here)
- Watch the all-new Modern Family episode tonight "Leap Day" (watch preview here)
- Watch the all-new episode of Psych tonight night (watch "Talk Leap to Me" here)
- Watch last-week's 30-Rock's episode "Leap Day" (watch here)
- Watch last week's Parks and Recreation episode "Sweet Sixteen" (watch here)
- Watch an episode of the TV show Quantum Leap (watch here)
- Watch an episode of the new TV show Leap Year (watch here)
I hope these ideas help get you started on creating a very fun day for you and yours. Let me know what you end up doing and pass any other good ideas along.
More Like This
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Genie Gratto
Most Popular on Entertainment
By Deb Rox
Recent Comments on Entertainment