Gas and Food Prices Soaring – but there’s Hope!
By thelifeboat on April 23, 2011
We all see gas prices creeping up day by day. In a article from CNBC it is reported grocery prices are also rising – up 6.5% since January. Total energy and food spending take up about 15% of consumer’s spending – up from 12.5% just 2 years ago. Combine with high unemployment and re-employment at lower salaries, it makes for a difficult time for many Americans.
But there is a bright light. Technology affords us information that can help us find lower prices, find good deals on food as well as show us how to combine sales with coupons. With a little investment of time, consumers can save hundreds to thousands of dollars.
To find the lowest gas prices in your area – go to: Gasbuddy.com
To save on food there are so many options! There are things you can do today to help save:
- Compare Store brand vs. Name brand – you can save a great deal of money converting to store brand and many stores guarantee the product – so you can return if not satisfied (check you local store for sure)
- Aldi’s – if you haven’t visited Aldi – stop by and at least check out their produce section. They have nice produce at great prices.
- Shop the sales – purchase sale meats and products – stock up on items that are a good price – base your meals on the sales
- Shop by yourself so you can focus on getting the best deals and not end up with alot of extra items in your buggy.
- Check for local growers, food co-ops, CSAs in your area: Localharvest.com
- Check your Sunday paper for restaurant coupons.
Also invest time in taking a in-person or online Couponing class. Strategies learned can save you thousands of dollars every year!
More Like This
Recent Posts by thelifeboat
Most Popular on BlogHer
Save time, money and space with the FoodSaver® Vacuum Sealing System! AND it keeps food fresh up to 5x longer! Read our bloggers' experiences with the FoodSaver® System and see why you should get one for your home. Plus get a chance to win $100 Visa gift card! Read more
Most Popular on Money
Recent Comments on Money
By Just Beet It