Getting Creative with Girl Scout Cookies
Unless you live under a rock, you are aware that Girl Scout cookie delivery and consumption time is upon us. In fact, if you're an avid blog reader, you may have seen talk about these annual favorites popping up in all sorts of ways. If you're bored with eating cookies straight from the box, this post is for you.
It turns out that there are all sorts of things you can create from Girl Scout cookies. In fact, there are all sorts of copycat recipes for the cookies themselves floating around the web. Don't believe me?
Check these out.
Looking for some tasty treats to make with your leftover Girl Scout cookies? (Yes, leftover. Sometimes your eyes are bigger than your stomach.) Here are some great ideas.
- Thin Mint Truffles by Confessions of a Cookbook Queen. These look oh-so-good.
- FoxyValley Mom has quite a few recipes including minty brownies, lemon cheesecake and peanut butter bundt cake.
- SugarDerby uses both Tagalongs and Do-Si-Dos to make a mouth-watering bundt cake. SugarDerby also has quite a few other Girl Scout cookie based recipes.
- The Galley Gourmet has one of the many recipes for Samoas (or Caramel de Lite) bars. They don't utilize actual Girl Scout cookies, but are a spin on them. And I want some.
- One Domestic Diva makes a strawberry pie with Trefoils as a crust. Bookmarked!
- D.I.Y. Louisville has some thin mint cupcakes. I think you could skip the melted chocolate atop the cuppies and just plop on a thin mint on top. Voila!
Want something that's not really a cookie and perhaps has more of a... kick? Try this Thin Mint Julep from Hedonia. But don't deliver cookies while sipping on one. Or do, but walk, don't drive.
Dairy Free Samoas by lovelihood.
Looking to make your own recipes? I can help! Don't tell the leader in your friend group. She might not appreciate the fact that you're cutting in on her business... unless you make her a batch in, say, September.
- Tagalongs: Confessions of a Cookbook Queen made a recipe since no Girl Scouts sell her cookies.
- Samoas: Baking Bites made my absolute favorite: Samoas. I want to try this one.
- Thin Mints: Sugar Plum made a copycat recipe of Thin Mints with Andes candies.
- Do-Si-Dos: Cakespy made some yummy Do-Si-Do peanut butter cookies.
- Lemonades: Just a Pinch shares a very easy recipe for this lemony treat.
- Gluten-Free Recipes: The Gluten Free Lab did a great round up of Girl Scout cookie recipes that happen to be gluten free! It includes Do-Si-Dos, Samoas, Thin Mints and Tagalongs. High five for this roundup!
My only suggestion after having researched this information for you is that you don't make them all at one time. I also hope you didn't sit down with a box of cookies while reading this post. If so, you're in good company. Mmm, Samoas.
What about you? What's your favorite Girl Scout cookie? Do you ever do anything special with them or have a favorite recipe to create something special? Or have you attempted making your own? Do share (the cookies... really... I only bought one box of Samoas and I can already tell that was a bad mistake on my part).