Want a show stopper breakfast for the family, or weekend guests - this is it! Sweet and salty - it is interesting enough for grown up palates, but not too weird for the little ones!
Bacon & Caramelized Banana French Toast
Serves 4 people - 2 pieces each
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 3 ripe bananas + 1 overripe banana
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 8 pieces of thick cut bacon
- maple syrup
- 8 slices of bread - for me I used Udi's Whole Wheat Gluten Free
- frying pan
- baking sheet
- mixing bowl
- 2 large freezer ziplock bags
- cutting board & knife
1. In a mixing bowl, mash the one overripe banana into a paste (note: when I have bananas that are overripe, I throw them in the freezer for recipes like this - then you just toss them in hot water for a few minutes with the peel on and they are all mushy are ready to use).
2. Add eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Whisk together with your fork to combine.
3. Place your bread flat into the ziplock bags
4. Carefully pour the liquid into the bags - half into each. Get as much air out of the bag as possible. Let the bread soak into the mixture for 15 minutes, then flip the bags so that each side gets an even soak of the egg mixture. Leave for up to an hour if you have the time!
5. Turn on your oven to 200 degrees celsius - this will just be to keep your french toast warm as you cook the other pieces.
6. Slice bacon into bite sized pieces and place in the frying pan on medium heat. Cook until the bacon is soft, but not completely cooked. Place on the side for now.
7. In the pan with some of the bacon grease, fry your french toast, placing each piece into the oven as your cook them.
8. Once all the bread is done, place the bacon back in the pan on medium heat.
9. Slice the remaining 3 banana info pieces about 1/4" thick. Place in the pan with the bacon. Cook until the bananas start to soften.
10. Add 3 tbsp of maple syrup to the pan and cook until the bananas are caramelized.
11. Remove your french toast from the oven and place two pieces on each serving plate. Top with the banana & bacon mixture, then drizzle some additional maple syrup!