Gluten-Free Baking: Carrot Cupcakes
By Nummy For My Tummy on March 07, 2014
Featured Member Post
My daughter loves the idea of carrot cake, but is simply not a fan of what's usually put into it. She's anti anything that has to do with cheese, which means even a faux cream cheese frosting is completely out. The thought of raisins baked in a dessert bothers her, I kinda understand that. Walnuts are definitely out, she doesn't like the additional chewing involved.
To accommodate my daughters palate (as well as a few of her friends), I whipped up a batch of Carrot Cupcakes sans raisins and nuts, and topped with a basic sweet frosting. Feel free to add raisins and walnuts to your treats if you can't live without them. Also, there are plenty of cream cheese frosting recipes on the Internet if you simply cannot eat carrot cupcakes without the traditional frosting.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp clove
- 12 oz grated carrots
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup palm shortening
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot starch/flour
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line 12 muffin tins.
- In large bowl, combine all dry ingredients, being sure to remove any lumps.
- In a medium bowl, combine all wet ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Gradually stir the wet ingredients into the dry.
- Let mixture sit for 5 minutes allowing the coconut flour to absorb the moisture.
- Spoon the mixture into the lined muffin tins filling almost to the top.
- Set on middle rack and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool on rack and prepare frosting.
- To prepare the frosting, combine all ingredients into chilled bowl and use a hand mixer to blend until light and fluffy.
- Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes and top with walnuts, cinnamon or shredded carrots or nothing, it's up to you!