Gluten Free Spaghetti alla Carbonara
By lazyglutenfree on June 16, 2014
My senior year of high school I made fast friends with an exchange student who was from Italy. She and I had a surprising amount of things in common, even joking that we were long-lost twins. While she was here in the states, my mom asked her for an authentic Italian recipe - because how fun is it to be able to make some nearly authentic Italian cuisine?!
Well, this Spaghetti alla Carbonara recipe is not the exact one since that one somehow got misplaced, but I know it's pretty darned close. Not only is this dish super delicious and rich, it is very quick to make. Your prep time is just about as long as it takes for the noodles to cook. I was a little weirded out by how the eggs magically turn into a creamy sauce with just the heat of the noodles, but I promise it's very good and no one got sick.
Spaghetti alla Carbonara
16 ounce package Gluten Free spaghetti
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
3-4 slices cooked pancetta or thick cut bacon, crumbled
salt and pepper, to taste
1) Cook pasta according to package directions.
2) Meanwhile in a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
3) Once pasta is cooked, drain and add to the egg mixture. Using a fork or tongs, stir pasta with mixture, coating as evenly as possible. The heat from the pasta will "cook" the eggs, turning the mixture into a rich and creamy sauce. If you're still a little skeptical, you can put the pasta in a large skillet over medium heat for a couple minutes. This will remove some of the creaminess from the sauce though.
4) Once pasta is coated, add bacon and toss to combine.
5) Serve warm and top with additional parmesan, if desired.
More Like This
Most Popular on BlogHer
Hearing your baby laugh is the most amazing sound. Discover why baby laughter is so important, your baby’s own Baby Laugh Index™, and much more at www.babylaughindex.com.BlogHer and Bright Starts™ asked 10 bloggers to share what kind of laugh their kids have and to try out one of these fun toys: the Jungle Fun Ball Climber™, the Hide 'n Spin Monkey™, or the 3-in-1 Step 'n Ride Lion™ . Check out their posts and learn how you could win one too! Read more
Most Popular on Gluten-Free
Reality Check: Dining out Gluten-Free (and why I went to bed with a bottle of San Pellegrino & a champagne truffle)