Gluten Free Streusel Topped Cherry Cobbler Muffins
By glutenfreegigi on June 25, 2014
Muffins on the patio with piping hot coffee and maybe even a strip or two of crisp bacon can make your weekend morning. In fact, last Sunday that’s exactly what made ours. With Dreamy and Little Chef working on home improvement projects and me shifting between recipe development and editing articles for the July issue of the magazine, we needed a long brunch break to get us through.
I had a jar of Michigan Red Tart Cherry Preserves in the pantry I was eager to try, so cobbler muffins seemed just right. Do you ever buy random products in the grocery store? I do, all the time. Sometimes it’s a product I’ve heard about but have yet to try. Other times, it’s just something that catches my eye. Like the preserves. I think the marketing by Smuckers on this particular product lured me in. Good work, Smuckers!
You can use homemade preserves if you like. And don’t feel pigeonholed with the cherry. Make any flavor of cobbler muffins that suit your tastes – peach, strawberry, blueberry, and on and on. Make two batches if you want. Get creative and have some fun!
But don’t forget the bacon because a crisp, salty succulent strip of bacon against the sweet-tart taste of these muffins is sublime. Since it was Sunday morning, naturally, we had Applegate uncured Sunday Bacon. Of course, if it had been Wednesday or any other day, we would still eat Sunday Bacon. I think the New York Times described it as bacon with a “flavor and aroma that makes everyone gravitate toward the kitchen”. I describe it as succulent strips of junk-free piggie. Now we know why the NYT isn’t calling me to write the food column.
Either way, it’s good stuff if you like bacon, regardless of how you describe it. Best part, you can cook the bacon while the muffins bake and everything’s ready at once.
Oh, one more thing. I put jam in the batter before baking, then again after the muffins are baked. When it comes to jam on muffins, more is better, at least to me. If you prefer less, simply omit the second addition and go with what’s inside. But, let me tempt you with the tart cherry overload…
Streusel Topped Cherry Cobbler Muffins
This recipe is free from gluten, dairy (optional), soy, peanuts, tree nuts, egg-free option.
For the muffins:
- 250 grams King Arthur Gluten-Free Multipurpose Flour (or an equal amount of Gigi's Everyday Gluten-Free Flour Blend, or other gum-free all purpose gluten-free flour)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup milk (I use unsweetened coconut milk from a carton; use what you like.)
- 1 egg (substitute prepared powdered egg replacer to equal 1 egg)
- 1 Tablespoon light oil (use what you like to use in baking)
- Preserves or jam of your choice, scant ½ cup (I used tart cherry preserves in this batch.)
- ¼ cup gluten-free flour blend (use the type you use in the muffin batter and be sure it is gum-free)
- ¼ cup brown sugar, loosely packed
- 1 Tablespoon cold butter (or dairy-free butter substitute)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line 10 sections of a regular size muffin or cupcake pan with paper liners (or grease lightly if you prefer).
- In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- Add remaining muffin ingredients and stir until batter is smooth.
- Divide batter evenly among 10 sections of the muffin pan.
- Top each portion of batter with ½ teaspoon of jam or preserves.
- In a small, separate bowl, combine streusel topping with a fork until it looks like crumbs.
- Divide streusel mixture evenly between the 10 muffins, sprinkling it on top, over the jam and batter.
- Bake muffins 15-17 minutes, until they rise and are golden on top.
- Allow muffins to cool 10-15 minutes, then top with an addition ¼-1/2 teaspoon of jam or preserves, if desired.
- Serve warm; Makes 10 muffins.
This recipe originally appeared at GlutenFreeGigi.com.
More Like This
Recent Posts by glutenfreegigi
Most Popular on BlogHer
Mom has a lot to check off her list this Summer, and Kellogg's cereal can help her get it done. How will you make the most of your Summer? Check out our blog posts as we share with you inspirational ideas for celebrating the moments of magic that will happen during this activity-filled time of year! PLUS enter for a chance to win as $100 Walmart gift card! Read more
Most Popular on Food
Recent Comments on Food