Boyfriend Bait: Gluten-free Pumpkin Pecan Cupcakes
By GFMelissa on December 08, 2010
A warning: these cupcakes lead to hanky-panky. I thought I better mention that right off. According to a recent study by the Taste and Smell Treatment and Research Foundation, essence of pumpkin is the way to a man's heart. Or, at least to his boy parts.
Dr. Alan Hirsch and his smart-smelling colleague, Dr. Jason Gruss, conducted an in-depth plethysmographic (don't even ask) study on the food smells men find most sexually stimulating. Empirically documented through hemodynamic appendage testing (so to speak).
The results are in and guess what, ladies? No need to wear high heels or buy expensive perfume. Just stick a doughnut in your pocket, munch on some licorice and sprinkle pumpkin pie spice in your hair. You'll be irresistible.
But, be careful. I'd think twice before setting bait for the doughnut guys.
The Top 10 Odors Male Volunteers Responded To
(actively responded to, like in a physically noticeable way)
1. Pumpkin pie and lavender
2. Doughnut and black licorice
3. Pumpkin pie and doughnut
5. Lavender and doughnut
6. Black licorice and cola
7. Black licorice
8. Doughnut and cola (doughnuts and cola? seriously? who are these guys?)
9. Lily of the valley
10. Buttered popcorn
So – the way to a man's heart, with a stop here and there, is through pumpkin pie spice and doughnuts? I bet men wish the reverse was that simple.
Doughnuts versus shiny, sparkly things.
Men are from Mars via Dunkin' Donuts and women are from Venus via the jewelry store.
Here's a recipe for love: Gluten-free Pumpkin Pecan Boyfriend Bait Cupcakes
(I threw in some chocolate so the ladies would also be in the mood.)
1 & 1/2 cup Pamela's Gluten-Free Baking & Pancake Mix
1 & 1/2 teaspoon 5-spice blend *
1/3 cup organic Turbinado sugar (or another form of sugar)
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon Madagascar vanilla, sniff and swoon (regular vanilla is fine)
1 & 1/2 cups pumpkin pie purée (I used Farmer's Market canned, organic pumpkin pie mix, it smells divine)
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional, but recommended for obvious reasons)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together Pamela's Mix with the 5-spice blend. Set aside.
- Place melted coconut oil and sugar in mixer bowl and mix on medium speed until well blended. Add eggs one at a time, vanilla and pumpkin pie purée and mix well.
- Slowly add dry ingredients and mix on low speed for a minute or two until all ingredients are blended.
- Fold in chopped pecans and chocolate chips.
- Fill paper-lined muffin tins 3/4ths full and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 22 to 26 minutes (depending on your oven temperature), or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. You can also use silicone baking cups.
- Cool on wire rack and see what happens.
- Makes 12 cupcakes. Top with cream cheese frosting or vanilla ice cream and selectively serve at your own risk.
* I use Frontier Chinese Five-Spice powder. Oh my gosh, the research team should have set their standards higher than doughnuts and popcorn. This stuff is heavenly. It's a bit exotic though. If you want to play it safe, use 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg.
* I didn't make this research story up. Here's the official study. Anybody up (no pun intended) for a gluten-free version of this research?
You might also like my garam masala infused Moroccan Stew recipe. Very sensual.
Peace, love and sexy cupcakes
More Like This
Recent Posts by GFMelissa
Most Popular on BlogHer
Save time, money and space with the FoodSaver® Vacuum Sealing System! AND it keeps food fresh up to 5x longer! Read our bloggers' experiences with the FoodSaver® System and see why you should get one for your home. Plus get a chance to win $100 Visa gift card! Read more
Most Popular on Food
Success Rice Farms Reviews & Giveaways
Success® Rice is the ORIGINAL no mess, no measure boil-in-bag rice that cooks perfectly every time and is ready in 10 minutes. Read our bloggers' posts and see how they make hearty meals by adding Success® Rice into their favorite recipes plus get a chance to win $100.