Gourmet Live + BlogHer Recipe: Chicken Curry
By Julie Ross Godar on June 24, 2012
BlogHer Original Post
>>Back to the Road Trip Landing Page
Recipe by Melissa Roberts, Gourmet, February 2007
Photo by Romulo Yanes / Gourmet
- Active time: 10 min
- Start to finish: 30 min
Why resort to takeout? This spicy coconut sauce, brimming with stewed tomatoes, is a wonderful way to make weeknight chicken tempting again.
- 1 1/2 lb skinless boneless chicken thighs (about 3 to 4)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (preferably Madras)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 (13- to 14-oz) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 (14 1/2-oz) can stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1 (10-oz) package frozen whole baby okra
- 1/2 cup unsalted roasted cashews (3 oz), chopped
- ACCOMPANIMENT: jasmine or basmati rice
Pat chicken dry and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then brown chicken, turning over once, about 5 minutes total. Transfer chicken with tongs to a plate. Stir garlic, curry, and cayenne into fat in skillet, then add coconut milk, tomatoes with their juice, currants, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to a simmer. Add okra and chicken along with any juices accumulated on plate and briskly simmer, partially covered, until chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cashews.
Dont miss the food bloggers' favorite restaurants for takeout -- and see all the Road Trip stops, restaurants, and recipes, too.
And for more unbeatable takeout recommendations and recipes, download the Gourmet Live iPad or iPhone app or visit Gourmet.com .