Grammy Highlights, Lowlights, and a Gaga/Madonna Mashup!?
By Christal Roberts on February 14, 2011
BlogHer Original Post
Last night's Grammy show was a musical knockout. There were stars galore, one bang up performance after another, and oh yeah, a couple of awards thrown in. Christina Aguilera nearly fell on her face, Mick Jagger proved age ain't slowin' him down and Esperanza Spalding proved that Bieber fever isn't as deadly as it seems.
It kicked off with a rousing all-star, diva salute to the ailing Aretha Franklin by Jennifer Hudson, Christina Aguilera, Martina McBride, Yolanda Adams and Florence Welsh and ended with a rock performance by Arcade Fire.
In between, Justin Bieber, Eminem, Usher, Rhianna and a whole bunch of other people I never heard of but whose albums I want to run out and buy, took to the stage.
Image courtesy CBS
Here are my highlights and lowlights:
Highlights of the 2011 Grammys
- Christina Aguilera made up for flubbing the national anthem at the Superbowl by tearing up her part of the Aretha tribute. Then when the performance was over, she nearly tripped off the stage, but didn't.
Image courtesy CBS
- Jennifer Hudson effortlessly blowing the roof off during her part of the Aretha tribute. I'm loving her more and more every day.
- Aretha's taped thank you for the tribute. She looked good, even though the dress she was wearing looked like it was from about forty pounds ago.
- Thought they had to call in security during Muse doing "Uprising," but was relieved to see the scary, masked anarchists were only lost backup dancers.
- An overdose of Lady Gaga. irst she was on 60 Minutes, coming off very shrewd and smart -- telling Anderson Cooper how she's studied "the sociology of fame." I'm thinkin' she's also studied the career of Madonna. Then she was one of the big performers on the Grammy show itself.
- And speaking of Madonna, did y'all notice how Gaga's new song, "Born this Way" sounds a lot like Madonna's "Express Yourself?" Not that I'm saying it's a ripoff, but sounds just enough like it to not be as original as Gaga's other stuff.
- Not a lot of lowlights 'cause the show was that good, but the tribute to dead musicians? Not cool. They tried to show too many people and the mashup of music was confusing. For example, playing "Goldfinger" to salute the passing of movie composer John Barry made it seem like singer Shirley Bassey had died.
- Usher’s fine and all but after having grown up with Michael Jackson, he’s a pale, pale comparison. And I can't help being reminded there are people out there who think Usher actually invented all those cool moves he does on stage. Sorry Usher.
- Time to mummify Bob Dylan and be done with it. During his number with Mumford and Sons and the Avett Brothers, was I the only one waiting for him to spit those pebbles out of his throat? Sounded like he was singing, “I ain’t gonna work that Maggot’s Bar no more."
- Glee's Lea Michele saying "Grammy wimmers" instead of "Grammy winners" when introducing Lady Antebellum. Had a little Glee punch before the show Lea?
- Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream" is really starting to annoy me with it's stilted lyrics and candy coated pop-ness. Time to change it up, Katy.
Top 2011 Grammy Winners
Album of the Year: "The Suburbs," Arcade Fire
Record of the Year: "Need You Now," Lady Antebellum
Song of the Year: "Need You Now," Dave Haywood, Josh Kear, Charles Kelley and Hillary Scott, songwriters (Lady Antebellum)
New Arist: Esperanza Spalding
Female Pop Vocal Performance: "Bad Romance," Lady Gaga
Male Pop Vocal Performance: "Just The Way You Are," Bruno Mars
Pop Performance by a Duo or Group: "Hey Soul Sister," Train
Pop Vocal Album: "The Fame Monster," Lady Gaga
You can see the complete list of Grammy wimmers...er, uh, winners at the CBS website.
"Artist of the year is a woman and she plays bass!" at Girl's Can't What!"
"Getting To Know Best New Artist Esperanza Spalding" at Homorazzi
Megan Smith is the BlogHer Contributing Editor covering Television/Online Video. Her other blogs are Megan's Minute, quirky commentary around the clock and Meg's Rad Reviews.
More Like This
Recent Posts by Christal Roberts
Most Popular on BlogHer
Save time, money and space with the FoodSaver® Vacuum Sealing System! AND it keeps food fresh up to 5x longer! Read our bloggers' experiences with the FoodSaver® System and see why you should get one for your home. Plus get a chance to win $100 Visa gift card! Read more
Most Popular on Entertainment
Recent Comments on Entertainment