Greek Salad M'Eye Way
By Natalie Sztern on December 22, 2010
my greek salad
For me there is only one way to make a Greek Salad.
1) 5 ripe Tomatoes, sliced by hand 1/8-1/4" thick
2) A piece of Greek Feta cheese; size as big as you like and make it the best quality you can afford i.e. a specialty cheese shop*
3) Greek Kalamata Olives; size as many as you like and make them the best quality you can afford i.e. a specialty cheese shop*
4) 1 red onion, either sliced by hand or by mandoline
5) Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I use Nicoas Alziari which I use only when I go to the bank vault which is where I keep it. It is the same place I keep my Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale Di Modena Extra Vecchio. The second bottle.
As you can see from my link I am still hunting for a store in Montreal to sell ''''ahem'''' a French Olive Oil. Have no fear blondee 47 will keep searching. This is a lovely fruity olive oil that is ONLY used for salads or toppings, definitely not to cook with.
There is one more ingredient. My Secret Ingredient.....
6) Lesters Greek Salad Spice or epices Salade Grecque*
THE BEST GREEK SALAD THIS SIDE OF MYKONOS.
(To even contemplate a Greek Salad without Lesters Greek Spice, well, I just don't. They have melanged a mixture of spices that one just cannot replicate even with fresh herbs. It is the ultimate of dried spices for this specific purpose).
Plate each of the first 4 ingredients: The tomatoes, the onions, the Kalamata Olives and crumble with your hand the Feta Cheese. Then take the secret ingredient (no 6): Lesters Greek Salad Spice and generously sprinkle all over the salad. Let it rest at room temperature for twenty minutes prior to eating. Then as a final touch right before serving gently pour your Extra Virgin Olive Oil (no. 5) over the salad and Voila.
*in my case at the corner store Caldwell Provisions which is owned by George. Of Greek descent he carries only the best Feta.
*in my case at the corner store Caldwell Provisions which is owned by George. Of Greek descent he carries only the best Kalamata olives.
Come to think of it George...how come you have no website? Come to think of it George maybe you can get the Olive Oil?
I am working on George to get the Sodastream so all I have to do is walk the dog down the street, cross the corner and walk into Caldwell Provisions - Look Ma: No Car!!
More Like This
Most Popular on BlogHer
In case you haven't heard a Oklahoma teen boy bragged about raping someone and no one is doing anything about it
Most Popular on Food
Recent Comments on Food
By Jenny Lynn