Green Your Beauty Routine: Makeup Must Haves
By alexash on November 27, 2012
A decade ago, the options for eco-chic beauty were small. Products seemed to fall into two categories: the crunchy-granola no fuss basics and the uber-expensive handcrafted in a monastery in the Alps exclusives. I wanted pretty things minus harsh chemicals at a reasonable price. The search began.
Well, it actually began with something I read. The FDA has few regulations for the ingredients in the beauty, skin and haircare products it oversees. Ingredients that often end up in our bodies either by ingestion or absorption. I began to do my homework.
I decided to cut out parabens, petrochemicals and other harsh chemicals allowed in products here that are often banned in Canada, Japan and the European Union.
Eight years later, I’ve greened my beauty routine about 90%, and never stop looking for new things to try. When I love a product, I tend to shout it from the mountaintops. When potions and lotions are as good for us on the inside as they make us feel on the outside? That’s something to talk about.
My makeup bag must haves:
- Free of “the big 3” - toluene, formaldehyde and DBP - ZOYA nail polishes ($8) are award-winning and long lasting. Right now, I’m loving jewel toned reds and purples like Eve, Venus and Charisma.
- Tarte Lipsurgence lip tints come in a colors both glossy and matte. They hydrate like lip balm, and range from neutrals with a hint of color to deep, dramatic reds. They’re offered in value sets at the holidays and it makes it a great time to pick them up. Normally $24, the sets include 5 for $34.
- I adore primers, but the ones that work best often have ingredients I don’t love. By chance, a Sephora salesman mentioned Miracle Skin Transformer Face SPF 20 ($48). I gave the sample a try and returned to buy it the next day. It’s tinted moisturizer and primer in one. It’s also sunscreen and a face serum. It’s makeup that doesn’t look or feel like makeup, and perfect for everyday.
- I use the MST Treat and Conceal ($36) under my eyes and when my skin decides to act like a teenager’s. (You can find the MST primer and concealer online, and in some stores, for about half the price sold separately.)
- Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour blushes ($25) come in great colors and if you fall asleep without washing your face, your blush will be there in the morning (of course, I always wash my face so I wouldn't know). The clay absorbs oils but also hydrates skin - be it triple digit temps in Palm Springs or humid New York days, I’ve put it to the test and it stays put.
- Vapour Cosmetics is run by the former head of Kevyn Aucoin. It’s luxe with a light carbon footprint. Stratus Instant Skin Perfector ($44) is like BB cream in stick form. I wear it under makeup or as a primer for eye makeup. I also love their Multi Use Blush Stick ($28) for cheeks and lips.
- I never leave home without mascara and was skeptical I’d find an eco one I’d ever like. Tarte’s lights, camera, lashes ($19), is as good, if not better than a certain French classic I adored. I tend to keep mascara on my vanity and in my bag, so the Tarte mascara minis are perfect ($10 for two).
- It’s an old trick of the trade to set makeup with a mist of water. Caudalie Beauty Elixir ($18) does double duty hydrating skin and minimizing pores at the same time. I often spray it on after I take off my makeup, too.
Curious to know more about what your favorite products contain? Check out the Skin Deep database for product ratings and smart shopping info.
More Like This
Recent Posts by alexash
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Lori Luna
Sparkling ICE is a bold flavored sparkling water that truly delivers on taste and contains just the right amount of fizz. Read our bloggers' posts and get more details on how you can enter the Flavor Face Off plus find out more about the delicious flavors that Sparkling ICE has to offer. Read more
Most Popular on Style
Jockey Reviews & Sweepstakes
Skimmies are a super lightweight slipshort that cover your bum, keep panty lines to a minimum and offer anti-static defense for flowy skirt days. Check out these posts and see what our bloggers thought of Jockey Skimmies, plus get a chance to win a $100 Jockey gift card.