Grilled Catfish with Sauteed Cabbage
By Diversekitchen on December 08, 2013
One of the greatest gifts we have on this earth is food in abundance. What's even greater is this art of preparing food known as culinary. There are times when we, as busy individuals forget the delights of cooking. Every time I cook, there's a moment of gratitude, of reflection and of learning. And as with any other kind of art, you get better and better the more you practice and eventually, you master it through becoming your own chef. The first time I saw my mother frying a bunch of vegetables together, I wondered if I will ever even try to cook such a thing. It just looked like too much was going on. And the first time I tried to saute vegetables, let just say some smoke came out of our house. For a while I stayed away from pans, olive oil and vegetables. Today, when I made this recipe, I remembered my mom vividly, as she sauteed those vegetables flawlessly and without effort. That was how I felt today; as if I'm not putting any effort into what I was cooking. It became second nature, and that made feel like an artist, and this recipe, my forte. This is grilled cat fish topped with lemon juice and melted, unsalted butter. It is served with a simple but very healthy sauteed cabbage complemented with carrots, black olives, tomatoes and onions.
- 3.5 Ounce Catfish Fillet
- 1 Cup sliced cabbage
- 1/4 Cup sliced carrot
- 1/4 Cup sliced onion
- 1/4 Cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup Black Olives
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 Teaspoon Knorr Chicken Flavored Bouillon
- 1/8 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/8 Teaspoon Ginger Powder
- 1/8 Teaspoon Rosemary Leaf seasoning
- 2 1/4 Cups water
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon unsalted Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 2 Slices Fresh Orange
For The Catfish:
- Wash catfish thoroughly before anything else.
- In a small bowl, add 2 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Mix until the salt is dissolved completely.
- Soak catfish in the salt water for 5 minutes.
- Take out the catfish and place on a clean plate for seasoning.
- Add the ginger powder, rosemary leaves and Italian seasoning.
- Place catfish on an aluminum foil and broil in the oven on 250 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Check occasionally to prevent burning.
- Let the catfish cool for 5 minutes. Pour lemon juice over it, and last but not least, add 1 teaspoon of unsalted butter over the catfish.
For The Sauteed Cabbage:
- After all vegetables are sliced and diced, wash thoroughly until it is clean.
- In a medium sized pan, heat olive oil on low heat for 3 minutes.
- Add onions and stir immediately on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add cabbage and carrots into the pan and mix everything together for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and mix again for 2 minutes.
- Add Black Olives and Knorr seasoning and mix everything.
- Add 1/4 cup of water and place on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Let the sauteed cabbage mix cool before serving.
Serve the sauteed cabbage with the catfish. On the side, place two slices of orange to enhance the overall taste.
This recipe serves one person.