Grilled Chicken With Sauteed Spinach and Garlic
By Joanie @ Zagleft on August 09, 2013
We use our grill every weekend. Since putting in our swimming pool a few years ago, our backyard has become an oasis of tranquility. We spend much more time outdoors than indoors, that’s for sure. EJ and I are slowly, very slowly revamping our entire backyard. An outdoor kitchen is in the plans but I’m afraid it’ll have to wait until our recently graduated college kids are entirely supporting themselves. Ahhh, who said kids were less expensive when they got older? I’m not sure, but that’s what I believed.
EJ is the chief griller in our family and that’s okay with me. I’ll happily sip on a glass of Chardonnay while he works the grill. Even though we grill steaks, burgers and salmon quite often, we always grill chicken at least one day out of every weekend. I love this Grilled Chicken with Sauteed Spinach and Garlic recipe I’m sharing today because it’s not only easy, it so flavorful too.
I begin my preparing my basic marinade for chicken and marinate the chicken breasts for about 20 minutes. Then, EJ places them on the grill to cook for about 8 minutes per side. After they’ve cooked, we bring them inside and cover them with aluminum foil so they can continue cooking on their own and retain much of their moisture.
While the chicken breasts are “resting”, I prepare the spinach. I love spinach and always keep a bag of baby spinach in the refrigerator. It’s so easy to saute in a pan with a little olive oil and garlic. So tasty and so good for you!!
To plate for serving, place the whole wheat pasta on a plate and top it with the cooked chicken breast. Then, top with a hefty portion of spinach, making sure you’ve got nice chunks of garlic mixed with it. If you aren’t a fan of garlic, pass on the chunks. Top the spinach with a few teaspoons of grated parmesan cheese.
- 1 pound penne pasta (or use your favorite)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6-8 oz. bag baby spinach
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Cook the pasta. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper or use your favorite marinade. Cook chicken on the grill until no longer pink, about 8 minutes per side.
- Heat a saute pan on medium heat. Add the oil and garlic, saute a few seconds, add the spinach and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook 2-3 minutes until heated through and spinach is wilting.
- Divide the pasta between the plates. Place the chicken breast on top of the pasta. Spoon the spinach over the chicken.
- Top with parmesan cheese.
More Like This
Recent Posts by Joanie @ Zagleft
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Food
Green & Black's Organic Chocolate Reviews & Sweepstakes
We placed Green & Black’s Organic Chocolate to the test! Check out these delicious chocolate recipes and recreate them for the ones you love using exceptional, fairtrade ingredients. Plus get a chance to win $100 cash equivalent and a chocolate prize pack.