Counting down days to Halloween, I got inspired to make a Halloween themed bento lunch for my kids. This is my first attempt to make charaben (character bento!) All the cute Halloween themed treats and decorations I see everywhere these days, there's no better time to try. I love decorating cookies and treats for holidays anyway, so why not have fun with bento?
I wanted my bento to look cute, but I certainly didn't want to spend more than half an hour to make it in the morning. So, I focused on two main things. Jack-o-lantern rice and ghost eggs. Chicken fried rice with grated carrot is shaped as jack-o-lantern, and the ghost is simply a hard boiled egg. Cut out some facial parts from a seat of seaweed, and fill the gap with some fresh vegetables. Total time spent was 25 minutes. Not bad! My kids LOVED it, and so did their friends at school they said.
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 piece skinless boneless chicken thigh, minced
- 1/4 onion, minced
- 1/4 cup finely grated carrot
- 1 cup cooked rice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1/4 sheet seaweed
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 sheet seaweed
- broccoli, blanched
- baby carrots
- cherry tomatoes
1. Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan on medium high heat and cook chicken until heated through.
2. Add onion and carrot and cook for 3 minutes stirring constantly.
3. Add cooked rice, salt, pepper, and ketchup. Mix thoroughly and cook for 2 more minutes.
4. Prepare a sheet of plastic wrap per rice ball. Divide the rice and place it in the center of a plastic wrap. Using the plastic wrap, pick up the rice and shape it like a pumpkin by hand. Squeeze gently so that rice can stick together. Remove the wrap and let it cool.
Cut out eyes, noses, and mouths from a seat of seaweed using scissors. Place the facial parts on the pumpkin shaped rice balls.
1. While making fried rice, make boiled eggs.
2. After the eggs are boiled, cool them in the cold water for a few minutes. Remove the eggshell.
3. Cut out eyes and mouths from a seat of seaweed using scissors. Place the facial parts on the boiled egg.
Assembling Halloween Bento
Place a jack-o-lantern rice, ghost egg in the center of the bento box. Fill the gap with vegetables.